1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Habla usted Inglés

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Constitutional law is a fun parlor game, but it ain't easy in actual litigation in, you know, real life.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes, but, like golf and sex, it's among those few things in life that you don't have to be good at to enjoy. :)

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I see both as barriers to the officials' ability to do the peoples' work that can be overcome with minimal assistance.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe a resident can tell us: Was Az. Proposition 103 (ca 2006) ever implemented?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would like to see Obama start speaking in his native farsi

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I meant the slurring.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I certainly hope that if this person makes it on a ballot, there is some indication that she is not proficient in English.

But I know it won't be.

And I don't trust the voters to do their due diligence. I mean, c'mon. I'm not far from an area that voted an illiterate onto its school board.

No candidacy for you.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Apparently so:

http://www.azda.gov/main/English103.htm

Pursuant to Article XXVIII of the Arizona Constitution, the official language of the State of Arizona is English. Except as otherwise provided by law, translations or communications in a language other than English are unofficial and are not binding on this State.

I'm no lawyer, but I read that as saying that you can elect anyone who speaks any language they damn well please. You could even have translators. But official business is English. So in the official minutes, only what Alejandrina Cabrera said in English is binding.

And this story notes there is a minimum proficiency required of government officials: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2094361/Arizona-council-candidate-Alejandrina-Cabrera-fighting-serve-term-rivals-say-isnt-fluent-English.html

However, the story (and I'm sure others) also have noted that Cabrera is a political rival of the current mayor (who is also Hispanic). So this really isn't about who speaks the goodest English.

9. Boom_70

Based on this interview she did with CNN I think she has a find command of the language:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/spanish/2012/01/27/conclusiones-012712-2.cnn#/video/spanish/2012/01/27/conclusiones-012712-2.cnn

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I bet she can even spell in English.

11. Boom_70

She graduated from Kofa HS in Yuma so she must have an understanding of the language.

Typically English is one of core competencies with a minimum number of credits to graduate.

I know some folks who attended Kofa and it is not an easy school. They are known for their strict standards.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I call shenanigans. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted