1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guys we won't see in the 2011 NCAA Tourney -- AKA the dudes leaving school early

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Mar 22, 2010.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well there was this gem....

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07363/845371-100.stm

And then he had something else he was involved with that I forget and he was academically ineligible for a semester (which isn't legal issues but points to general knuckleheadedness)

2. rube

rube Active Member

Speaking of guys who may or may not pan out – what is everyone's take on Derrick Favors.

Obviously an NBA body and an NBA-caliber athlete.

Good numbers this year, but not crazy eye-popping. Wonder if that had more to do with the team he played on.

He'll obviously come out – does he pan out?

3. Cousins has talent, but I wouldn't take him. He's got a real immature streak that scares the hell out of me. The argument with Calipari down the stretch of the West Virginia game, and the blatant elbow from earlier in the season stick out in my mind.

I don't know. I think he's good, but I just wouldn't want to bet my franchise on him, which is what I would have to do if I were drafting him.

Wall? I'd take second. If I had the first pick, I'm going Evan Turner. Best player in the country for my money, can play three positions in the NBA and is a high, high character guy to boot.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Hey you are back - welcome back.

I can't believe you have time to be here, though, I'd have figured you'd be following Georgetown to the Final Four..........oh wait a minute.

5. Crash

Crash Active Member

And you'll get your clock cleaned more often than not. Turner is a good player, and he had the best season of any college basketball player this year. Wall, though, is a special talent. And the way he plays, he's only going to get better in the NBA, where the open style of ball is much more conducive to his abilities.

6. rube

rube Active Member

I'd have to agree – I feel like Wall is hands down the best player in this draft.

Turner is very good, and he'll have a fine pro career I'm sure.

That said, I'm not so sure I wouldn't take Cousins over him.

7. Crash

Crash Active Member

Cousins might be the biggest question mark in this draft, and I say that as someone who absolutely loves to watch him play basketball. Physically, he's a monster. If he gets his hands on a rebound, he gets it. He's a skilled passer, a capable ball-handler, and he really showed the ability to learn and develop this year. In November, there were a lot of things he just couldn't do. By mid-February, he was a completely different player, both physically and mentally. If I were a scout, I'd love his upside because he has shown that willingness to listen and learn.

But, he's limited in a few areas too. He's not a great leaper, and he relies on his physical enormity entirely too much at times. He doesn't get off the floor quickly when rebounding, shotblocking or on offense, which could hurt him a lot in the NBA. He does have a tendency to disappear at times when things aren't going his way, but I think that may have been exacerbated by the talent around him at UK -- when it wasn't working for Demarcus, they had plenty of other options and didn't have to keep feeding him. The good thing is that I think most of his problems are problems of inexperience. He's never been on a court with a big man who kept him from doing what he wanted to do, and a lot of the improvement he needs may only come from finally playing in that situation.

Championship NBA teams have game-changing big men much more often than they have game-changing point guards, and it's rare to find a big man who is both ready to play now and has tremendous upside, as Cousins does. I'd have a hard time passing him up, whether at 1, 2 or anywhere else in the draft.

8. rube

rube Active Member

Agree with you on those limitations he's shown this season – but some of that (getting off the floor quickly w/ rebounds and shotblocking) won't improve as he continues to mature into his body.
    I mean he's what – 19 by now I would guess?

I'd have to think if he commits to conditioning and being a real pro, he'll be dominant.

9. Zag,

I tried to save my appearance for a few weeks following the horrific meltdown my favorite team enjoyed. I was at the Spokane Regional in the media room watching it. Every few minutes, there was a writer who kept yelling the following words:

HOLY SHIT!!!!! GEORGETOWN IS GETTING SHITKICKED!!!!!

I was not a happy camper

10. rube

rube Active Member

Report out of Louisville says Daniel Orton is going to test w/out an agent:
    http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100331/SPORTS03/3310410/1002/sports/Kentucky+s+Daniel+Orton+to+test+NBA+Draft

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Al-Farouq Aminu is heading to the draft, hiring an agent, etc.
    http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/04/01/article/wake_forests_aminu_to_enter_nba_draft

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cousins is a talent. Always has been; when you saw him as a 6-8 freshman, you knew he was going to be a rare talent.
    Then he started listening to people who told him that. And became moody. And sulked. And. pouted. And brooded. And hit his coach. And was sent to alternative school. And transferred. And transferred again when the AHSAA said that the only way he would play was getting away from school No. 2 because it recruited him. And he took team 3 to the Final Four twice, where they lost. Twice. And in his last game, he fouled out in spectacular fashion with four offensive fouls because he was going to do it his way -- the fifth was a technical after foul No. 4,
    He is the proverbial million dollar arm and a five-cent head.
    Some team till take a chance on him because his talent -- as it was as five years ago -- is endless. He is not a stupid person; he is selfish, spoiled, petulant and immature.

Draft saved Draft deleted