1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guy in Starbucks: "It's not even worth it to pick up a newspaper anymore."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

So I'm sitting here in Starbucks, being halfway unemployed and working on a book and whatnot as I wait to begin working part-time for a newspaper after I get married, and another guy sits down across from me and says to his friend, "It's not even worth it to pick up a newspaper anymore."

He seems like the young professional type, gelled curly bangs, khakis, blue button-down shirt with the sleeves rolled halfway up.

He continues, "It's just full of....nothing. It's garbage. And it's so liberal." Then he goes on to say something about how it's so obvious what newspapers are trying to pull. I didn't catch all of it--the piano music in the background went way up--but it seemed like he felt that newspapers were favoring liberal ideas and blah blah.

Of course, he also just sat down and started whining about his coffee.

But anyway, just thought I'd pass along the grand news. I dunno, I just thought of you folks when he started talking. I am curious, though: what do you guys/gals think of what he said? Not necessarily the "newspapers are garbage" part, but the liberal part?

NOTE: The paper he trashed was The New York Times.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He's wrong, but it's a meme that will never be debunked now that it is so prevalent.

3. spud

spud Member

Newspapers can generally be a collection of liberal thinkers. Newspapers are not mouthpieces for liberal bias. There is a very big difference.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If he was reading my local Gannett paper I'd buy the "full of nothing," but if you can't kill 20 minutes with the NYT, you don't care about anything of anything.

5. Sneed

Sneed Guest

He did give off that vibe. He's now on his laptop with his buddy, been spending the last 20 minutes talking about how technology prices are going up and what size flat screen TV to buy--or maybe a projector!

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So you're one of those people, huh? :)

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Dude, you need to go out for coffee less often. :)

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/2485386/

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is America. Ignorance is something people are allowed to be proud of. Hell, they're encouraged. As this anecdote proves, makes it easier to sell them crap they don't need and can't afford.

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I can't help. I'm one of those old-fashioned people who sits in a restaurant for a very long time (but tries to tip the pissed off waitstaff enough to look the other way) reading my newspapers (more than one) from cover to cover.

I know that I am being referred to as "that old person" for doing so.

10. ringer

ringer Active Member

"gelled curly bangs?"

Well, there ya go. That pretty much kills his credibility.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Guy at the 7-Eleven today: "Oh my God! They sold out of The New York Times already! That's fucking it! I'm gonna kill myself!" And then he jammed a corndog up each nostril and duct-taped his mouth.

I detect a trend.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Dammit, now I really want a corn dog.

Draft saved Draft deleted