1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guy blows a .491 -- and lives

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 22, 2008.

1. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

For those of you who are interested, alcohol is an addictive drug, meaning that it exhibits tolerance and withdrawal.

To get the same level of intoxication, an experienced drinker need to drink more and will require increasing blood alcohol levels to become incapacitated. That does mean that the alcoholic can function at lower levels. Reaction times and judgment are affected, but the alcoholic will appear more sober than the blood alcohol level would lead you to believe.

It is important to appreciate the difference between intoxication and incapacitation. And it is also important to remember that being legally drunk only applies when put into the context of an action. You are legally drunk if your blood alcohol level is 0.08 while driving a car, but it is absolute sobriety while flying an airplane. One cannot be above the "legal" sitting in a bar or in their rec room.

It is not uncommon for chronic alcoholics to be walking and talking with alcohol levels approaching .400 or higher. The Rhode Island police may be mistaken if .491 is their record. Either that or they might be naive.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I have a new life goal.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

No it didn't. He choked on his vomit. If he'd been on his side he'd probably still be alive.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nice to see a boy get a new hobby.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I was thinking that my cop brother told me once of the local town drunk who, when picked up, would blow between .8 and .9. The popular thinking at the local hospital was he was functional at .4 or so and nobody would have been surprised if at his peak, he would be in the 1.0 range.
    Dude was said to be a marvel of hardcore, long-term alcoholism.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Buddy of mine blew a .39 about five years ago. Cop didn't bevlieve his eyes and asked him to blow again. "Wow, you must have a high tolerance for alcohol." My buddy said that was the problem. They took him to the hospital and the doc asked if he was light-headed. Doc was shocked when my buddy said no, that he felt fine. Fortuantely, that was what it took to make him quit drinking. Sadly, he died about a year ago from cancer. Not liver cancer as hard as that is to believe.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It's good to have goals. Now you should make a list of things you could do to complete it.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

YouTube it and block out your face.

9. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

My first thought was how you blow a .491 in baseball... I was thinking about Chipper Jones.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

a former female colleage who weighs about 95 blew close to that recently.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Is she single?

12. I thought you'd be out cruising the retirement homes ...

Draft saved Draft deleted