1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gus Johnson Gets the NY Times Treatment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Mar 17, 2011.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

"Georrrrrge Mason!!!!"
    -Gus Johnson 3/18/11

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That's why I could only think of a few in my first post. I'd like to think we're building toward a society, as Dr. King put it, where we judge not on the color of one's skin, but the content of their character. Yet it seems to get bogged down in recordkeeping.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes. Yes it is.

4. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Count me among those who turn down the sound if Gus Johnson is calling a game.
    Then again, I do that for just about all of them, anyway. But with him, the reach for the remote is automatic.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Gus is a great announcer and a great guy.

Gus gets YouTube'd for all the times he's screaming at the end of tight games (and it seems every Gus Johnson assignment is a tight game) but I think he's a damn good announcer during the boring parts of games, too.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

can't think of another play-by-play guy that is either loved or hated, with few in between (i'm in the latter faction). as with any generalization, this comes with exceptions, i'm sure, but it seems to me a generational thang:

fans under, say, 30 or so comprise the overwhelming majority of the 'love him' party, a group dominated by the frat crowd; the older you get, the more you've experienced games and understand that those worth SCREAMING about are few and far between.

maybe if gus didn't treat every game -- college or pro -- like it's a championship game, his over-the-top moments would go over more smoothly for the more 'mature' or 'seasoned' fans among us. i get that enthusiasm and enjoyment of the job are welcomed attributes for broadcasters; this doesn't mean that a little perspective must be ignored.

as a viewer, i prefer to be the one to determine which moments are SCREAM-WORTHY and deserving of me leaping off the couch; i don't want the pxp person to come off like a used-car salesman making a pitch for his product.

truly great, SCREAM-WORTHY moments require little more the best TV pxp men than accurate description and the understanding that you can let the picture AND crowd reaction speak for themselves..

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm 39 (I'm almost a man) and I disagree. Johnson is fairly low-key during the nuts-and-bolts of a game, but raises his volume when it requires it. I think he describes the game action very well and works well with his partner.

I think he's good for college basketball, and perfect for one-and-done March Madness games, an event that feeds on fan enthusiasm.

I don't think he's very good for the NFL. His enthusiasm and screaming don't ring as true and are more annoying in Game 1 of a 16-game NFL season.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He ain't doin' the Masters anytime soon.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That would be so great!!!

10. Are you kidding me?

"Orton in the gun, Buckhalter right next to him. Orton, once again to the sideline...batted up, OH CAUGHT! STOKLEY, DOWN THE SIDELINE! CAN HE CATCH HIM? STOKLEY...WOW!!!...............TOUCHDOWN, DENVER!!!...........UNBELIEVABLE!!......OH MY GOODNESS!!!! WHAT A PLAY!"

And of course...

"HE'S GOT GETTIN' AWAY FROM THE COPS SPEED!"

Good for any week in the season.

Draft saved Draft deleted