1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gunman in Miami Herald building ....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by healingman, Nov 24, 2006.

1. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Former Herald employee here, too (hi MileHigh!).

To answer the online question ... there's are other sites than the actual Herald building where the editors can post. Offices in Pembroke Pines and Lauderdale.

The gunman walked in and reportedly said "There's a new editor here!" He went to the sixth floor, where the El Nuevo newsroom is. The Herald newsroom is on the fifth floor.

I found TV reports pretty funny, too. The reporter: "How can someone get in with a gun?"

Quick answer ... building is open during biz hours to public. I'm guessing he ... walked in?

It's not like going through security at the airport, idiot. LOL

And I think it's pretty funny they aren't being allowed to speak, either. That is hypocritical. LOL.

Glad I'm now at the PBPost. :)

2. lapdog

lapdog Member

Did the Herald get bought out by JRC? This seems like the way Jellyneck would install a new editor. :eek:

3. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

On MSNBC they said he has a machine gun with a laser scope

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I heard he came packing sharks with frikkin' laser beams. I think we've heard reports of everything else by now.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That's a fairly large paper, large enough, one would presume, to have a security department and officers posted at or near the main entrance, and some sort of security sensor/monitor people have to pass through to get into the building. Is that not the case?

FoxNews just had an apparently live shot of the newsroom, and there were people in there. TV monitors everywhere. How weird would that be to be in there pecking away and look up at the TV monitor and see yourself on TV?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There is security to get in, and you have to use a card to get past turnstiles. But the security is not armed.

7. novelist_wannabe

I see the point about security personnel, but I was thinking more in terms of metal detectors one has to walk through.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know Larry Coker was having a bad day, but c'mon...

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Metal detectors? Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've worked (and visited) lots of newspaper offices and never been through a metal detector.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I was wondering who would go there first... :)

11. novelist_wannabe

CNN: Police aren't aware of any hostages and are attempting to make contact with gunman, whose identity they will not confirm.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just got a text from a close friend who works at the Herald assuring me that he is not in the building...

Draft saved Draft deleted