1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gun-toting soccer mom found shot dead with husband

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Oct 8, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Neither should a car running off the road.

I mean, I'm sure if you are the owner of a car you are what, ten, 20 maybe 30 times more likely to die in an automobile accident, right?

It is the same brand of idiocy

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

To your point, Rosie, the husband in this case was a corrections and parole officer, so he would have a gun on the premises no matter whether his wife was making a very public case about carrying firearms wherever she went.

I saw another story quoting her lawyer saying that in the last month she had begun the process to get an order of protection against him. As you probably know from your job, those are OK, but they realistically are as good at protecting you as a water gun. She could have used that gun when her husband came after her, but I would guess that everything blew up so suddenly there was no time for her to pull the gun out of the holster.

The sad truth is, because of her very public stance on guns, her case is going to be grabbed by both sides of the gun debate to justify their cause. Unfortunately for her, the biggest threat that required a gun was not someone jumping on her at the grocery store, but someone within her own house.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Illegal guns, eh? Because we all know how in favor you and yours are of laws that make any gun possession illegal.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Bob, you are correct. An OFP is pretty much useless too many times. And it certainly doesn't help when those who obtain an OFP then go back to the offender.

If perp hadn't access to a gun, it would have been a knife. Or a brick. Or the cord from a lamp shade. Or his bare hands. That's why, in this case, the gun isn't the issue. That's the way I've seen too many domestic assault calls.

The domestic abuse is.

And when you go through the court convictions every week, and you see the felony domestics plea-bargained down to a misdemeanor assault charge? Well, it makes a person think there's something seriously wrong with this picture.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Much, much more difficult to kill in those manners.

Most people don't like to kill that ... intimately.

Certainly don't commit suicide that way as a rule.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I just want to point out that, without guns, we wouldn't have awesome rap videos.

Sometimes we, as a people, have to make a sacrifice.

Am I willing to give up awesome rap videos?

No.

8. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

I can think of 10 awesome rap videos without guns in them.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I can't think of one awesome rap video.

10. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

The Super Bowl Shuffle was rap.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I hear you there. All too often, those get plea-bargained down because the state doesn't have a case without a witness.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are right about one thing. The very important issue of domestic abuse is being overshadowed here by the gun issue and that isn't right. The legal remedies to such abuse often come up far too short and that is worthy of discussion.

That said, it was a gun that killed this woman and the guns she so often put on display failed to protect her when she needed them most. It is a gun issue as well. You can argue what might have happened without a gun all you want, but that isn't what happened. This very loud voice in favor of the right bear arms was shot to death. That is why this is the newspeg here and we all know it.

Draft saved Draft deleted