1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guitar World: 100 best solos

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tommyp, Jan 18, 2007.

1. the fop

the fop Member

2. tommyp

tommyp Member

I would put "Candy's Room" up there.

3. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

They screwed up on #81. Hunter and Wagner played on Lou Reed's solo version of "Sweet Jane", not the Velvet Underground original. Also, the original version doesn't have a guitar solo.

4. Steve Cropper should be on there for "Soul Man," just for the "Play it, Steve!" lick in the middle of every chorus.
    Where in hell is Allman's session work? Loan Me A Dime? Aretha's "The Weight"? Clarence Carter's "Road Of Love" with the most scorching bottleneck solo he ever did?
    Weird list for a guitarist's magazine.

5. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

Prince's Little Red Corvette is cool. But I would've had his solo from Purple Rain on the list before LRC.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Agreed. Or the end of "Let's Go Crazy".

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

And Hey, Jude for Wilson Pickett's cover.

8. keef spoon

keef spoon Member

some gems that should have made the cut:

"Time Waits for No One" The Rolling Stones -- Mick Taylor at his melodic best
    "Why Does Love Got to be So Sad" Derek & Dominos -- Clapton & Allman trading off
    "Always With You, Always With Me" Joe Satriani -- a beautiful, beautiful song
    "Pure and Easy" The Who -- Pete's best guitar solo

As for a great Cobain solo, check out "Serve the Servants" on the 'In Utero' CD

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Was surprised by Black Hole Sun........they got 3 out of 4 of Pink Floyd right.....(missed Run Like Hell)

otherwise.....can't really raise any hell about the list.

Solid.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover is quite easily one of the best solo jobs I've ever heard. The whole piece leaves me feeling tingled, although I must admit I have a mental image of the U.S. military (and my beloved USS Wisconsin) beating the crap out of the Iraqis during Desert Storm. That's because someone put that song to video.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yup. Could not agree more.

And while I understand that November Rain coudln't be no. 1, it is, to me, the most epic solo in rock. It's like you can hear the hair metal era ending right there. It's the last great true guitar solo.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

Steve Cropper is fantasitic and has never received his proper due for his role in music, but when I think of Green Onions, I think of Booker T on the organ, especially in the introduction.

Draft saved Draft deleted