1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guilty Food Pleasure...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Gas station corndogs.
    My wife doesn't like for me to eat gas station corndogs.
    I was once in a gas station in the next town over and figured it would be safe to grab a couple. I ran into one of her friends.
    I didn't even get them both eaten before I got a text asking how I liked my corndogs.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  2. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I’m told this is the reason why many private golf clubs maintain a separate men’s grill - so your wife’s friends can’t count your Tuesday afternoon highballs.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My wife doesn't care how much beer I drink. She just doesn't want me eating corndogs.

Tighthead likes this.
  4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Der Weinerschnitzel's 5-pack of corndogs is a killer. They are almost cheaper than buying 3 at the regular price. So, just give me the 5-pack. I don't have to eat 'em all. OK, one more, just one more. I can't leave just one in the bag, better eat that one, too. There, gone. I didn't waste food and I saved money by buying 5. Besides, they're chicken dogs so they are healthy, right?

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Convenience chain in Roswell called Allsup's that makes corndogs and burritos and the like.

I ate alotta fucking corndogs (and burritos) from Allsup's but mainly corndogs. So good.

Driftwood likes this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’d just like to denounce one of the early posts in here extolling the virtues of fake mashed potatoes over real.

My Mennonite ancestors would murder you with a shovel, if it weren’t for the whole pacifist thing.

7. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I won’t agree to that, but I find scalloped potatoes vexing.

It may just be my memory, MSG and a tonne of salt, but every time I’ve attempted homemade scallops they aren’t as good as the shitty boxed ones my mom made when I was a kid.

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Flakes are better for making gnocchi.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In life there are undeniable truths.

One of them is that instant mashed potatoes > real mashed potatoes

It's just the truth. No complaints with real mashed. But they ain't instant.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Real mashed potatoes, slightly chunky, are the shit. Leave the skins on.
    Stir in some bacon bits (or substitute sliced up smoked sausage or other leftover meat), chopped green onions, grated cheese and butter. Stir in a few tablespoons of sour cream, pepper it up and go to town.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I used to have a fondness for Sara Lee Cherry Cheesecakes. They weren't especially large and relatively inexpensive.

I don't know if they quit making them or what but they became impossible to find.

My feeling fat, think I'm going to knock out a dessert is now a frozen key lime pie, any brand.

I haven't had any in over a year because a) pandemic and b) I'm trying to reduce.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Speaking of gas station food ... Picadilly Pizza was a hit in college.
    And I found 3 frozen burritos in my deep freezer. Green Chili & Bean. Threw those bad boys in the oven and threw some cheddar & hot sauce on top and ate 2.5 of them for lunch.
    I was painting the inside of the porcelain around midnight and cursing my life.

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted