1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guillen: Mariotti a "(bleeping) fag"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 85bears, Jun 21, 2006.

1. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

People I know, including myself, use the term fag without sexuality being an issue at all. Basically another way of saying someone is a cocksucker or a piece of shit. I think of it as simply derisive rather than anti-gay, even though it originated as a term demeaning to gays (after it was a cigarette). As years go on, words take a new meaning. 50 years ago gay was just being happy.

Also, come to think of it, if Guillen had called him a cocksucker, would that have been insulting to fellaters?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What would Al Swearingen say?

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Ditto.

My two cents: You should suspend Guillen, mostly due to his insensitivity (I know, I know). But if there are any closeted White Sox (heh, that's funny...white socks in a closet? no way), they might not be comfortable with their manager now.

Then again, it's Ozzie, so they might never have been comfortable.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah, their chemistry sucks ::)

ChiSox chemistry is flat-dynamite. And this incident won't change that.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Gramps, 'twas me who asked MLB writers the Latino Billy question.

I asked because I was just a kid when Martin was in his managerial prime (Yanks and A's and Yanks again and again and again). I knew of his run-ins with his players, but I don't recall any of the racial remarks.

What I recall, besides his bad decision making skills when drunk, was a very good manager who also was a hot head. That seems to describe Ozzie as well.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I loved Stengel, but Casey was a racist (vis a vis modern, PC standards), as well . . .  and Martin, Stengel's pet, fell right into line, in that department.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ozzie was wrong, he knew what he said. It wasn't as bad as Rocker, but it was still a shitty thing to say.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

And while apologizing (ok, being told to go say I am sorry), he calls Mariotti a piece of shit, and uses the hand gesture for quotes while saying "I offended".
    Ozzie is just nuts.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'm going along with Fenian and disagree with spnited's statement. It doesn't matter how severe Rocker's comments were in comparison to Ozzie (which is comparing apples to oranges): you don't say something that out-of-line and expect not to get punished for it. Rocker may be a redneck, but he's a smart redneck who knew better than that.

Ozzie is in the same boat and should be on that boat. Suspend and fine him and let Jay fight his own war with Ozzie. He doesn't need the benefit of the doubt 'cause that's bullshit. If I said what he spit out, I'll have my walking papers in 3 minutes flat and on my ass outside the office within the next two minutes.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Now, for calling Mariotti "a piece of shit," Guillen should be commended, not suspended. ;)

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

A-fucking-men.

12. JackS

JackS Guest

Maybe he meant he's already been penalized.

Draft saved Draft deleted