1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guillen: Mariotti a "(bleeping) fag"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 85bears, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It sounds like we're starting an Onion piece here.

"Yeah, and I love to go to the theater, too -- with my mother."

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

When did PT Cruisers become a symbol of gays? I'm as straight as can be and I think they're pretty cool.

3. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

I'm with you. I got one on a car rental the other day... very nice, driveable little cars.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If he said Miata, I could understand.

PT Cruisers? Neons with pretensions. :)

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not to threadjack (much), but I look forward to Ozzie selecting the American League reserves and pitchers for the All-Star game. Should offer a free week of columns for every baseball writer in the American League.

6. Pocket Aces

Pocket Aces Guest

Ozzie obviously wasn't going after Mariotti's sexuality, but still, that word should leave your vocabulary when you turn 15. I used to say it as a kid, now it makes me uncomfortable to hear it.

And his excuse is laughable.

7. Jay Mariotti isn't gay?

Well I never saw that one coming.

8. trounced

trounced Active Member

Thanks for saying what I was thinking. I thought I'd let someone else post it because I'm trying to work on using discretion. I wouldn't want to be called intolerant.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Separated at birth?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You guys make a great team.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

shot, i guess i phrased my argument poorly.

my point is that if we were able to produce irrefutable evidence that he is not homophobic or anti-gay, then that tells me that he's guilty only of not comprehending why the word is insulting or caring that it's insulting to many. that's ignorance and stupidity, not homophobia and bias. in my mind, the former warrants a lesser penalty than the latter.

(of course i realize there's no such thing as concrete evidence that someone is or isn't homophibic...i'm just throwing it out there).

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If Guillen said Mariotti was a "motherfucker," would he have to apologize to Mariotti's mother??

::) ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted