1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guess what turns 40 this year?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

RS is already rolling, ahem, out nuggets from its archives.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

All who still have the free roach clip, raise your hand.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hell, I still have the same stash.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My brother had every issue from the first to about 1971.

His now ex threw them out in a hissy fit.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've been a subscriber for 30 years I guess. I used to work with a guy who had a huge stash from the first 10 years and he'd loan them to me. What a great mag it was then. Now, not so much although it does have its moments.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

This magazine has sucked for years. Used to be great, but is now a sad shell of it's former self.
    Even the political articles just seem to be half-assed. But not as bad as its "music" coverage. When they had Beyoncea and her group on the cover instead of Joey Ramone after he died, I was sickened.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I just turned my head from RS when I found they were drug testing their employees. This from a mag that once gave out the roachies.

8. Bob Slydell

No, not fixed. RS used to be a tremendous magazine with great writers.

But it went corporate and wasnt interested in talking about good music. It was geared towards the MTV generation. Maybe I'm just old.

Bands like Wilco, Ted Leo or some others need to be on the cover. Not Brittney Spears for the umpteenth time.

And drug testing the employees, jesus. Hell, drug use is probably what made it great to begin with. Would Hunter Thompson have been in RS these days?

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Exactly. I remember an issue a couple of years ago that had Orlando Bloom - whoever the fuck he is - on the cover and a great story on the Motley Crue reunion buried inside. In the old days, the Crue story would have been on the cover.

Even the stuff on up-and-coming artists at the front of the mag seems really phony, full of rappers and DJs. The fans of this music do not read RS.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Good point, especially when you consider the recent cover stories on both Zeppelin (completely useless, contained absolutely nothing that I hadn't seen before) and Floyd, two bands it routinely slagged in the old days.

I will say the Sex Pistols story in the Amy Winehouse issue was a neat bookend to Charles M. Young's story on the emergence of the band 30 years ago.

I'm surprised that given their long love affair with Springsteen that he hasn't been on the cover - or even in a major story - for his Seeger Sessions album.

11. Bob Slydell

Giving bad reviews, and doing a feature ona band, are two different things.

And the part about no Springsteen cover for Seeger is a great example of how it has lost it.

Hey I know it sucks now. But let's just say it sucked a lot less back in the day. It's just so boring now.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Agreed, but those stories were big baglicks on how great both bands were when they'd gone out of their way to shit all over them when they were still active. You can't have it both ways.

But that attitude is long gone from there. They don't really shit on anyone anymore - and Lord knows there are no scathing record reviews like Dave Marsh's rip of the second Knack album - but they'll do the big build up puff piece on Amy Winehouse (who probably won't be anywhere near the cover five years from now) and Hollywood's flavour of the week.

The reviews section is lousy, featuring way too many no-name bands and absolutely no review of less than three stars should find its way in there unless it's by a major artist. They should do more on reissues or catalogue reviews and when they rave about a bootleg available online, tell us where to find the fucking thing!

But stories on the last year on James Brown, Jerry Lee Lewis and Bo Diddley - as well as good stuff by Matt Taibbi - keep me reading. Old habits die hard, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted