1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guess this is why the Lions are the Lions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Nov 23, 2006.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Should we maybe have a training board where noobs can post stuff before they show up on the big-boy board and post something like this?

2. stevenash

stevenash Member

there were like 8 different topics going on, i answered one of them, people should stay on the topic mentioned and not go off on something else

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

That's all well and good. But if you think Troy Smith should be the No. 1 pick in the *NFL* Draft, you need to seroiusly consider not following the NFL ... ever again.

4. stevenash

stevenash Member

then who should be???

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Any of 60 or 90 ... or is it 120? ... draft-eligible (or likely to turn pro) players that will be better pros than him.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yes. Maybe we can bring back newsjournalists.com and let them practice over there. Sadly, some may never be allowed over here.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Don't ever tell me what I should or shouldn't do again little boy. 8)

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

The Lions are so unspeakably bad. Harrington having the type of game he never had in Detroit--for Miami--nudges the Lions ahead of the Cardinals in the race for the worst franchise on the planet. I mean, that guy was just awful in Detroit and couldn't do anything right. He had promising WRs around him and a pretty good RB the last couple years. His teammates hated him.

Today, he's efficient, spreads the ball around to a bunch of stiffs and is pretty much in control from the second drive on. Sammy Morris busts a couple huge runs when Ronnie Brown gets hurt. It seemed like Harrington was toying with the Lions in the second half. The Dolphins could have beaten them 41-10. And he gets a Gatorade shower at the end.

The Lions couldn't get rid of that guy fast enough and now he's won four in a row, which is double the longest winning streak he had in Detroit. Unbelievable. What an awful, awful franchise. How is Matt Millen still employed?

9. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

If I remember right Vince Young was considered a possible number one and Troy Smith is a better pocket passer with skills that translate better in the pro game. Smith being more of a McNabb type were as Vince Young being closer to Michael Vick. I wouldn't draft Troy Smith number one but I wouldn't take Brady "easy schedule" Quinn either.

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

When it's all said and done, John Navarre will have a better pro career than Troy Smith :)

11. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Because Bill Ford still owns the Lions.

With the exception of a few flashes of success during the Wayne Fontes years (but only 1 playoff win), the Lions have pretty much sucked for the last 50 years. And as long as the Ford family continues to own them, they'll continue to suck.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Because the Ford family likes Millen, and it still owns the Lions. The Fords are making Mike Brown look smarter by the day, and that's usually pretty difficult to do.

One problem is the Lions are a disjointed bunch. Yes, we all knew that, but a point brought up during the broadcast was how Dre Bly out-and-out napalmed Joey Harrington last year, basically burning a long bridge that couldn't be mended. There's a big part of the problem. Most teams have problems, but they get through them or at least find a way to do it without being idiots. Apparently, Millen hasn't taught this team much of anything except how to lose and look absolutely pathetic doing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted