1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Guess Oprah's Monday sports guest ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by thebiglead, Apr 13, 2007.

1. swenk

swenk Member

Completely disagree with your assessment of the program. It was Whitlock who took off the gloves and talked about 'bitches' and 'hos' after the rest of the panel tried very hard to be polite and discreet, and it was Whitlock who clearly put Sharpton on the defensive, forcing him to stutter up explanations about how his organization never gets involved unless someone requests his involvement.

Overall, the show had very little to do with Imus; it was really a recap of what Whitlock has said all along--you can't expect people to respect you if you don't respect yourself. Worth watching, although nothing was said that hasn't been said on this board over the past week. Should be interesting to hear Russell Simmons tomorrow--he looked sort of silly in the audience wearing a baby blue baseball cap. HE should have worn a tie.

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Definitely one for the JW scrapbook, I'm sure. :)

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tomorrow will be the day that gansta rap music died. Suburaban soccer moms learn about the lyrics of the songs their kids have on their I-Pods.

They'll be singin.........
    fitty cents took his escalade to the levee but the levee was dry.

4. And we'll all have snow-white unicorns to ride.

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

"There's a rainbow! Do me on it!"

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Do it, Whitlock.

7. swenk

swenk Member

There was a moment when Crouch mentioned that 4 of 5 rap CDs are sold in white suburban communities, and there was an audible wave of reaction from the audience. Oprah read an email from a white mother (who then spoke via phone) who said she never really thought there was anything wrong with rap lyrics, since the black folks didn't seem to mind them. Oy.

Like it or not, there are plenty of things that whisper through our culture, until Oprah takes out her bullhorn--I agree with the comment above that an hour of rap lyrics on daytime television will send lots of moms scurrying to the iPods to see if there's any Snoop to be found. Sort of amusing to envision all the panicked parents having to listen to thousands of songs to find the 'bad' ones. Maybe Oprah will provide a list.

8. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

you are Clearly out of touch with Black folks, rap and reality. Russell Simmons have NEVER worn a tie. He has always walked around with a ballcap on. He promotes his Phat Pharm brand.

Stanley Couch got it right. Gangsta rap gotta go - Period. No more debate. The rich studio heads are reeling.

9. swenk

swenk Member

How I would love to make your day and point out that you misspelled Fat Farm.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Perhaps Simmons hat did read "fat farm " today in passive agressive attempt to take a shot at Whitlock.

11. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

I GOT THIS FROM ANOTHER BOARD. THIS IS ON POINT!

Remember how Oprah ambushed A Million Little Pieces author James Frey, who went on the show wearing his hair in a perm and left with a "process"? There's always the hope that Whitlock will get "Freyed, dyed, and laid to the side," just like Mike Lupica did him. And if he shows up in that nasty tan windowpane suit one more time, he ought to qualify for an Oprah makeover, a Bob Greene workout, and a free yee-haw psychoanalysis by Dr. Phil!

Is this going to be a "wade in the water" moment with Whitlock as a charismatically-drenched Reverend Feelgood performing a ritual baptism of Imus to the accompaniment of hand clapping, foot stomping, and the singing fish belting out a few choruses of "Take Me to the River" with the Ramsey Lewis Trio?

Or is Reverend Whitlock going to take the I-man's confession and absolve him of all his guilt, kind of like John Coffee, the Magical Negro in The Green Mile, who absorbs the pain of whites, and even forgives those who've condemned him to die for a crime he did not commit? So spiritual, so enlightened!

Maybe Whitlock and Oprah will exchange thoughts on her latest book club selection, The Road by Cormac McCarthy, a post-apocalyptic picaresque novel in which foraging for food figures prominently (insert appropriate "fat" joke here).

It's really interesting how Jason Whitlock, a self-anointed black spokesman in the eyes of whites, is the subject of such invective by so many of the African American sports fans who post on his message board, many of whom seem to view him as an embodiment of the minstrel paradigm.

What I don't understand is how a second-tier sports reporter from a backwater Midwestern market, manages to have his tabloid sensationalism published on the AOL HOME PAGE, as if his reporting from the recent NBA All-Star game (the "black KKK") was actually factual and not yellow journalism at its worst.

Also, please consider that Jesse Jackson, who won 20 percent of the popular vote and 13 primaries and caucuses in the 1988 election, is, in my opinion, worthy of our respect, if not gratitude, for his intervention in Syria, Cuba, and Yugoslavia, which secured the release of a total of 26 captured American servicemen, regardless of race, creed, or color.
    How a bad sportswriter with a messianic complex is allowed to trash him and impugn the motives of a respected women's basketball coach defending her students from the racial slurs of a $10-million-dollar per year redneck doing a pretty fair impersonation of one of the conniving, poor Snopses in a Faulkner novel, is beyond me.

Jason Whitlock, after you're through kissing his behind, you can kiss mine!!

12. swenk

swenk Member

Decaf. Just a suggestion.

As for the 'mistrel paradigm,' don't look any further than the rappers who sell their crud to white kids who can't get enough of the freak show.

Draft saved Draft deleted