1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gruesome murder-suicide in New Orleans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Some pretty excellent reporting in that story. Gruesome indeed.
  3. deportes

deportes Member

sad story.
  4. JR

JR Active Member

Awful crime, terrific writing
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Active Member

Unless I skipped over it, the story doesn't link post-traumatic stress from the storm and the crime. This stuff happens all too frequently, in all too many places.
    I remember when a guy in NYC cut up and cooked his dancer girlfriend and served her to his homeless buddies on the Bowery.
  6. Johnny Dangerously

I didn't mean to suggest Katrina stress was necessarily a cause. Just pointing out that so many horrific and unfathomable things have happened in New Orleans since the hurricane, and this is another.

I know there were many senseless bloodbaths in New Orleans before, but even the police spokesman said he's never seen anything like this in 40 years on the job.
  7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I saw one NOLA newscast last night where they interviewed the police forensic psychiatrist who was using this as a big alarm that the city didn't have any free mental hospital wards after the storm with Charity and one other hospital's ward still closed. I think it's obviously a stretch to link that to this case, which the psychiatrist didn't do but the TV station didn't separate from the incident's coverage, but it's a pretty big issue for the city.
  8. Johnny Dangerously

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Interesting turn-of-phrase: "Survivalist" vs. "survivor."

Sad that the mere formality of referencing it as "Hurricane" Katrina on first reference is now considered redundant at the T-P.

The website prompted me for a zip code after page 1, so I gave the rest of the tale a miss.
  10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

What a creepy story.

Makes you wonder just what is wrong with people.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Every Newhouse site I visit thinks I'm a woman from Beverly Hills (aka 90210) born in 1901.

In other NOLA crime news, sports talk host Vince Marinello allegedly murdered his wife a few weeks back. Probably a DB, but I just heard about it for the first time today.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Moddys, please don't merge this with the Lidle funeral/In=n-Out thread.
Draft saved Draft deleted