1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gruesome murder-suicide in New Orleans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Some pretty excellent reporting in that story. Gruesome indeed.

3. deportes

deportes Member

sad story.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Awful crime, terrific writing

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Unless I skipped over it, the story doesn't link post-traumatic stress from the storm and the crime. This stuff happens all too frequently, in all too many places.
    I remember when a guy in NYC cut up and cooked his dancer girlfriend and served her to his homeless buddies on the Bowery.

6. Johnny Dangerously

I didn't mean to suggest Katrina stress was necessarily a cause. Just pointing out that so many horrific and unfathomable things have happened in New Orleans since the hurricane, and this is another.

I know there were many senseless bloodbaths in New Orleans before, but even the police spokesman said he's never seen anything like this in 40 years on the job.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I saw one NOLA newscast last night where they interviewed the police forensic psychiatrist who was using this as a big alarm that the city didn't have any free mental hospital wards after the storm with Charity and one other hospital's ward still closed. I think it's obviously a stretch to link that to this case, which the psychiatrist didn't do but the TV station didn't separate from the incident's coverage, but it's a pretty big issue for the city.

8. Johnny Dangerously

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Interesting turn-of-phrase: "Survivalist" vs. "survivor."

Sad that the mere formality of referencing it as "Hurricane" Katrina on first reference is now considered redundant at the T-P.

The website prompted me for a zip code after page 1, so I gave the rest of the tale a miss.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

What a creepy story.

Makes you wonder just what is wrong with people.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Every Newhouse site I visit thinks I'm a woman from Beverly Hills (aka 90210) born in 1901.

In other NOLA crime news, sports talk host Vince Marinello allegedly murdered his wife a few weeks back. Probably a DB, but I just heard about it for the first time today.

http://www.katc.com/Global/story.asp?S=5431262

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Moddys, please don't merge this with the Lidle funeral/In=n-Out thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted