1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gruden, jaworski defend reggie bush...stay classy espn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by noodles, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yes. Then try "The CEO took that tax write-off. He wasn't immoral. Neither am I for taking it, even if I make 8.1 percent of what he earns."

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

So what's the solution? Have the NCAA say, "Well, we'll nab 'em where we can nab 'em." Yeah, love that philosophy.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Do you think the cops catch every kid who throws a brick through a window? Of course not. But when it happens right in front of them, they don't let the kid walk away because they can't catch all the others who do the same thing.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Cleary Reggie Bush's "illegal" perks are going to open the floodgates and it won't be long until college football players all over the country are found taking money from agents, going on trips paid for by someone else, and who knows what else. Oh wait...

Gruden and Jaws were right. The DAC's sudden morality on this situation is lame. As Denis Leary said, if only Reggie Bush had killed Kim Kardashian and a waiter, he'd be allowed to keep his trophy.

And Smasher, your analogy between taxes and this is like comparing an anvil to an orange.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No, it's fine. The "everybody does it" argument doesn't work if you're the one who gets caught.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'll feel the same way you do when the NCAA goes after the coaches and the schools who don't give two shits about what's going on as long as the player is scoring touchdowns. Pete Carroll kept his coach of the year award and USC is keeping the millions of dollars Bush made for the school while he was there. And while I'm fairly certain they had a pretty damn good idea what was going on, if somehow they didn't, it's because they tried awfully hard to stay ignorant to the situation. It's easy to punish Bush and the current USC players. But it also exposes the NCAA as one of the most corrupt organizations in sports.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I love Leary as much as the next guy, but that is apples and oranges. Might be funny, but it's not relevant.

What Bush did affected his amateur status.
    What O.J. did or didn't do did not affect his amateur status.

Big, big difference.

It's in the rules. And I love how everyone -- including the Trust itself -- was making a big deal about it not even getting to a vote. A vote was not needed. Why would they need to vote if it's clear -- and it is -- that Bush ineligible at the time he won?

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Agreed. The OJ analogy is silly. The issue isn't whether Bush is a good or bad person, it's the fact that he shouldn't even have been eligible when he did the things that won the award.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Taking away wins and trophies is hollow bullshit. Until USC gives back the millions made from the BCS, TV appearances and replica jerserys the penalty is meaninless.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

These are all just the results of a broken system.

Also, amateurism is the most antiquated concept in sports. The only "good" thing about it is that it keeps more money in the pockets of the NCAA and the conferences and the schools.

So fuck the Heisman Trust.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you ask Larry Long Time Listener how many Final Fours Jalen Rose and Chris Weber played in, do you really think he is going to answer none?

You cannot change what happened, even if you want to rewrite what "happened" on paper.

You want to kill USC football? Tell everyone in 2015 and 2016, for example, that they will not be able to play in a Bowl game. Good luck recruiting that team.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Bush was eligible when he won the award. I saw him play that year. So did anyone else who was watching. You can't change that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted