1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grey's Anatomy . . .

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Feb 15, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Wow, WBCH! Don't hold back, man.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Yeah ... tell us what you really think.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You left out how they used the "Holy (can't hear the second word because the title card comes up)" move that VW used in those ads where the people had car accidents.

Of all the main characters, my vote would be for Meredith or Yang to die. They're my least favorite ones (sheepishly admitting that, yes, I pay attention when my wife TiVo's it.)

4. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

It's 90210 in a hospital. It's a good bad movie on TV. It's bad, sometimes laughably, but it's entertaining.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Thank you Cat. Thank you.

It is laughable. The whole boat crash scenario is ridiculous. But not as ri-goddam-diculous as an intern using a Craftsmen drill found in the bed of a pickup to burrow into a man's head.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As badly as it ruins local TV news?

7. See, that I can believe, over the fact that Grey was under water for what seemed like 45 minutes, and she is still somehow alive on the operating table (up to the point where she wasn't, of course, until she is again next episode.) I don't mind a stretch to advance a storyline, but she was under water a long friggen time. Not to mention the fact that they guy she was trying to save in the first place managed to climb out of the water on his own, but she, after simply getting tossed into the water, without hitting her head or anything, somehow can't get out or yell for help. None of it makes sense to me.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Not to defend Grey's too much, but every few years, there will be a case where someone falls through a lake and is under water, drowned, for sometimes hours, and they get pulled out and brought back to life, and suffer no long-term damage. It's a weird phenomenon called the Mammalian Diving Reflex. The water has to be pretty fucking cold for it to happen, but it happens.

Here is the explanation from the web:

Mammalian dive reflex: Drowning suffocation causes a lack of oxygen, resulting in death in only a few minutes. An exception to this rule appears in victims who have been suddenly and rapidly submerged into ice-cold water. Some of these people have survived up to an hour underwater without any physical damage resulting. This phenomenon is known as the mammalian dive reflex, which is activated when the face and body plunge into ice-cold water, resulting in the slowing of body metabolism as well as diverting blood only to the heart, lungs, and brain. If someone gradually becomes hypothermic (gradual lowering of body temperature), then this reflex does not apply. With the slowing of body metabolism as the body cools, the body uses less oxygen to survive. The goal is to rescue these victims before their oxygen is used up.

As for not being able to cry out for help, well, people do weird things in accidents. Shock and panic takes over, and people die for no good reason all the time when all they would have to do it yell, HELP.

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Yes! I noticed that, too! Last week, I remember a guy laying on the dock, unable to move and last night, he - and all his blood, personal belongings and anything else that was on the dock, was gone!

I was kind of pissed that she was under water for a half hour and "lived" but then I had to remember that TV shows shift from scene to scene shooting things that are, I assume?, happening all at the same time.

10. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

I really, really like this show. I think it's tremendous. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Meredith dies, even though the show is named after her character. Let's face it, she's hardly the strongest character on the show. Between Yang, Izzie, Korev and the others, the show could conceivably sustain itslef itself with Meredith doing a "from beyond the grave" narration.

You have to admit it's intriguing; killing off a show's main character. It certainly wouldn't work on a show like 24, but Grey's may be able to get away with it.

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I think the boat crash in Seattle is pretty realistic. I have a friend in school in Vancouver and she takes pictures of these huge cruise ships all the time that appear to be entirely too close to the shore line. I think sometimes people aren't taking into account the reality of this show being set in Seattle.

Oh, and for the record, since thinking last night, I'm wondering if the poster who said Meredith was going to see her mom on the other side as she died on the table or whatever and then come back is correct. It seems more feasible for me to see her mom lucid and giving Meredith some sort of support about her life as a surgeon and then Meredith coming back to life.

12. penguin

penguin New Member

Was it just me that wondered if in a way it was suicide or she chose to give up in the water? Wasn't that how this whole three-part story started, with her submerging herself in her bath tub?

I liked last night's episode. I think I'll like the show even more if she does actually die, but I don't believe that's going to happen. It would be ballsy and shocking for a highly-rated show to kill off (one of) the lead characters. I'd respect that.

Draft saved Draft deleted