1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grey's Anatomy . . .

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Feb 15, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well with all the deux ex machinas ER has survived, I'm not worried about Grey's

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Figure it this way: she's dead now, so we get the mourning scenes, the emmy grab scenes, the tear-jerker scenes for our wives. Then they manage to resuscitate her (with the help of a big glowing alien like in The Abyss), and she comes back, and you get a new box of Kleenex for the wife's tears. They killed the main character, they can say they did it, but she's back and no one ever says "The show's not the same since Meredith died!" It's the best of both worlds for them.

Then, right after Meredith comes back, and everyone's happy . . . they drop the bomb. It's a Grey's event episode, and a three-parter; the only lingering effect can't just be Meredith feeling her mortality (and McDreamy's subsequent proposal?). No, someone else will fall, and I think dead, not hurt. Because they've got to punch the viewer in the face just before the end of it.

Like when dude blew up after Meredith pulled the bazooka shell out. Like when Denny bought the farm after he got a new heart and Izzy put on the dress. Or how right when Meredith decided to give herself compltely to McDreamy, Addison shows up (that was their "test" cliffhanger, I think).

Yes, I like this show. And they love lulling the viewer into a false sense of security after a crisis before dropping the bomb. It's like each event episode is structured like the sequences in Pulp Fiction. Lull you to relax a bit with witty dialogue and interesting characters. . .

then BOOM!

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Not even close. Grey's Anatomy is ER on ecstasy. Far more inter-departmental fucking, and far less plot lines where a nuclear bomb is about to go off inside Trauma 1 at Chicago General. Although lately Grey's has ramped up the drama.

I think Piotr nailed it. Meredith will live, but someone else will go. My money is on the chief. Especially since Shonda Rymes wrote all three of these episodes by herself. If you are going to kill off a major character, the show's creator and executive producer pretty much needs to have her hands on it.

It was a nice surprise to see Coach Taylor from Friday Night Lights though. He looks much better when he's not all stressed out about West Texas high school football.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Wonder if Coach Taylor has that lawsuit on this show too.

btw, gf sez Ellen P. has a contract for 5 more years.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

My fear is that they cop out, and it's not a "major" character. Like Meredith's mom or dad, or something.

My wife just noted how crazy it would be if it's Meredith's mom who dies, and they are able to have a real quality conversation in the hereafter (where Alzheimer's doesn't affect the mom), and Meredith comes back.

Hey, the show does stuff like that, like it did tonight.

6. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

I wonder if it could be Dr. Burke ... Isaiah Washington has had major issues on the set and has been a P.R. nightmare for the show. He's a major character to where his death would have a big impact on the show, but behind-the-scenes followers wouldn't be too shocked to see him gone.

As for tonight's episode, loved it. Sure got a little out there, but I'm really enjoying the evolution of the characters right now (especially Karev). For awhile, I was annoyed by all of them. Now, only Meredith is the only one who still annoys me.
    Can't wait for next week.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Didn't someone say T.R. Knight was leaving. Maybe he dies trying to find the little boy.

8. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

He found the little boy on his wife's operating table.

9. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I haven't watched all of tonight's episode, but it could definitely be George's character who bites it.

10. I'm sorry, did someone just compare this show to Pulp Fiction?

11. greenthumb

greenthumb Member

This show can be frustrating. They have great episodes, then they have ones that are flat-out terrible in spots (like tonight's). They crash a ferry into a ship, but that's not enough fodder for drama ... nooo, not enough. No, we gotta drop Meredolt in the water and give McDreamy his dive-in-and-save-her money-shot. Oh, but that's not enough. Let's pretend she dies so we can get everybody to cry and win awards. And while we're at it, let's have her go whine in the afterlife for a while so we can bring back Denny for shock value.

I mean, really, this is all too flippin' silly. It's like writing about a guy having a heart attack, but he gets delayed on the way to the hospital by an earthquake, a flood, a nuclear explosion and the Easter bunny. There's drama, and then there is the theater of the absurd.

That said ... I'm still watching.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, with the show being called Grey's Anatomy, Grey is not going to die. But they did kinda go out on a limb naming the show after a character. Can you imagine if ER would have been called "Ross' Rounds." Would it have gone on after Clooney bolted?

Draft saved Draft deleted