1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greta Thunberg running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's where the divide lies.
    One faction of humanity looks at that as a great thing. Maybe even the path to achieve a lot of other goals.
    The other side is horrified by it because they recognize it's a path to achieve a lot of other goals.

maumann likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A planet the size of Jupiter on a collision course with Earth changes everything, too.

And there's not a damn thing we could do about it, also.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

lakefront likes this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Just avoid single-use plastics as much as possible.
    Pass on the straw unless you are driving. Limit your use of plastic forks, etc.
    If you refill a plastic water bottle once, you've cut your consumption in half.
    Little things add up.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

But we can't get the little things out of the ocean. The point of the article was big oil knew this 20 years ago.

Driftwood likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

EVERYBODY knew what is in that article. At least anyone who cared to give a shit. But most people didn't care to inform themselves and really all they cared about was. ... the convenience of having plastic goods.

FWIW, it isn't just "big oil" that knew / knows that recycling is a costly, inefficient mess that accomplishes little other than driving up cost for all of us (and when I used to point this out to others, I'd get shouted down). The companies that the "big oil" headline doesn't look to demonize, such as Dow Chemical, LyondellBasell, BASF, etc -- the actual industrial / chemical companies that are in the plastics business in a much bigger way than most of those oil companies -- knew it, too.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Our Starbucks no longer includes straws with drinks.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Neither does Costco.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

When Covid began and I was adverse to going to the store a bunch, I pulled out my Soda Stream from the back of the cabinet for seltzer. I still buy 2 liter bottles to slow down my CO2 canister consumption (otherwise I'm buying canisters way too fast). In any case my plastic consumption has plummeted just on water bottles.

Also, I bought a reusable Kurig cup.

If nothing else, the money I'm saving not buying single use kurigs and water bottles is tremendous.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Look for the EkoBrew paper filters and the EZ-Scoop. Makes a huge difference in cleanup.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I have a mesh filter. The only downside is I need to do a deep clean of the mesh from time to time to keep things flowing.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The paper filters fit inside the mesh filter and do a much better job of filtering, along with the ease of cleanup.

Spartan Squad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted