1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gregg Marshall is an asshole? What a shocker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

McClatchy properties.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If we get to 5 pm Central time and there's no announcement, he'll skate. Let it ride through the weekend, by which time it will have been forgotten.
    Whichever Koch Bro is still in charge of the alleged university must not have any problem with it. Makes sense. His klan is welcoming the great unmasked to the White House for another rally tomorrow.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

BTW, nice thread title, Burns.

Some folks around here may have written a headline or two ...

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Listened to a Wichita sports radio call-in show this afternoon that had Goodman on it. Pretty compelling stuff. Said he talked to 36 former players, and 34 had zero good things to say about Marshall, and he had many more things they reported than he included in the story.

Said one of the players who talked the worst about Marshall was one of the 3 NBA players from recent years, so that cuts out the "disgruntled players" defense. But ... Morris hasn't talked to the law firm investigating the allegations.

WSU issued a statement today, and Marshall did, too, not denying any of the specific allegations, but saying his "coaching style isn't for everyone."

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I covered Marshall for a long time at Winthrop. One year, they lost to a terrible Liberty team in Lynchburg, and Winthrop's SID -- usually a good guy -- was nowhere to be found as we were trying to talk to Marshall postgame. We finally find him standing outside the hallway to the visiting locker room, where you can hear Marshall absolutely tearing center Craig Bradshaw a new asshole. I take a look down the hallway, and Marshall was so angry he was purple. The SID looks at me and says, 'You want to talk to him? Have at it. But I'm not grabbing him for you.'"

Always called Marshall "Ol' Purple Face" after that. Funny thing was that he was always very polite and accessible in media interviews there, but we all knew it was a sham.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

We had a desker who whenever he saw PROBE in a headline, he made an agonizing noise like he was having a colonoscopy without anesthetic.

HanSenSE and MileHigh like this.
  8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It pays to be an asshole

The school and Marshall agreed to a contract settlement of $7.75 million to be paid over the next six years.

wicked likes this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sickening that he gets such a "golden parachute". One day a school will have the cajones to say enough is enough and there's not going to be some soft landing and that they're going to draw the line and not pay. Of course, this is only pretty good signal that the administration knew about this and was complicit in Marshall's abusive conduct. They only went the "internal investigation" route when it went public.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I was dealing with a dickweed on another board who continued to argue that Marshall is the victim of unfounded, unproven charges due to political correctness, and that the internal investigation is a whitewash to cover that up. "It's a shame to see a man's career blown up by charges with no facts to back them up." Finally just gave up and used the button on him.

My argument that the school would not fire the best coach in the history of their program's cash cow for no reason fell upon deaf ears.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I suppose you can either pay Marshall to go away or pay your lawyers' billable hours to make him go away and possibly still have to pay him to go away.

Hermes and Liut like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Take the hit and move on.

Draft saved Draft deleted