1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gregg Doyel suspended

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, May 7, 2024.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Maybe not everything has to be a fuckin joke.

2muchcoffeeman and Liut like this.
  2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

3. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

I think there was also a question he had to the coach which hit a slightly on the cringe scale. Also immediately after the press conference, when people were probably going "WTF" to him, he immediately went into column promoting mode, which didn't help.
    It was almost, "do you really understand what you did here?" and he didn't get it.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Mid-50s. Which is why I keep coming back to wondering why he's still there. Unfortunately I guess he's off suspension next week, which means he'll cover the Indy 500 and he knows nothing about racing. Gotta keep him away from Katherine Legge, too.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, there's that. There's also you don't have to get your panties in a bunch at the drop of a hat. Other side of the same coin.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Could be - but if he's going to be this creepy and unethical, and do it in an introductory press conference with one of the biggest names in all of sports right now and tons of people watching and in attendance, then they needed to fire him immediately. That's "if he does this in public with everybody watching, what does he do in private when no one's watching?" stuff.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  7. jr/shotglass

Don't make me defend Gregg Doyel, who makes my skin crawl. But that's inherently unfair.

You judge the person on the actions he's taking at the present. You don't extrapolate scenarios based on what you think he might be doing when you aren't watching.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

I was answering Flip's scenario, where he was saying if Clark kowtowed to Doyle's wants, she and her team would receive more and more positive coverage from him.

If you believe that's true, and he'd be so bold that he'd do it when *everyone* is watching, then I think an employer should definitely be concerned with what may happen in other times.

9. jr/shotglass

BWIP, I understand exactly what you're saying. You said he should be fired immediately, and that it's OK for it to be based on imagined happenings. If he should be fired just for the moment he gave Clark the "heart," that's one thing. What you're saying is another.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

No, not fired immediately based on what *could* happen.

If what Flip surmised is what his actual motivations are, then yes, fire him for that immediately.

11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I mean this courteously, I don't give enough of a fuck to argue about it. If Clark was offended then that is her right to be. He seems contrite. I think I can take the silly English judge wig off.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Do they cover Notre Dame as well, or do they cede that to Chicago media and NBC?

Draft saved Draft deleted