1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gregg Doyel suspended

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, May 7, 2024.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

As big a fan of Clark and the women's game as I've become, I don't think this is a career-ender in Indy for him. Sorry to phrase it like this, but it still is *just* the WNBA. In a city and area where there's as much other stuff going on, college and pros, he'll be just fine.

The part that I remain curious about is if anyone from Clark's camp or the Fever or the WNBA went to the Star and was like, "WTF?"

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I wondered this, too, and frankly, I doubt it.

Like you, I also don't see this as a career-killing thing. He'll probably even end up back on the Fever again if it does well in the future.

It was a little overboard, and definitely weird to do as a journalist, when Doyel said that if she started making the heart sign to him, they'd get along fine. But really, I thought all along that this was intended as a bit of a joke, and was a case of Doyel just kind of trying to butter up the new star in town in preparation for lots of coverage, and, hopefully, having a good working relationship with her. It could be taken as more than that, and I guess the Star did that, but I didn't.

His making the heart at her at first was recognition and acknowledgement of something that she always does, and, indeed, turned out to be a conversation starter that resulted in an explanation from Clark that no one otherwise would have had or known. We probably have all just assumed previously that she was doing that, just kind of generically, to the crowds/fans.

Unfortunately, the "conversation" only went downhill from there from a public press-conference perspective.

jr/shotglass and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I took it as awkward/cringy and him trying to get her to let her guard down and be "real" and not the polished personality that she shows to the media. It just got weird.

Worth a slap on the wrist? Definitely.

I think I'm more offended by his punishment being that he is limited to "covering" the team by watching games on TV. That's not covering games or covering the team, it's watching like any other fan does. Though I realize that's an unwinnable argument from 2007 rearing its ugly head again. If you don't want him around the team in person, then just say he can't write about the team.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Of course they did.

I'd bet the mea culpa begets a marketing campaign ... big photo splash of Caitlin and Gregg ... big smiles ... and both forming the hands-heart.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The Fever play 20 home games.

Minus cringe-gate, how many games would Gregggggg likely have attended? 3 or 4? The opener. The matchup against Reese and Cardoso. Maybe a couple others.

PaperClip529 and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I think it was more than Doyel trying to get Clark to "be real." He said they would get along fine if she hearted him. That makes it sound like if the 22-year-old rookie Clark kotows to what Doyel - in his mid-40s, maybe? - wants, then she and her team will receive more, and positive, coverage from him. It was a totally creepy and unethical move on his part.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

He is twice her age and looks even older than that.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Best way I can describe it is that Doyel acted like the creepy Boomer who still calls women “broads.”

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The old guys still call 'em "gals," too.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

What else you got in Indianapolis between the 500 and opening of fall camp for the Colts, Hooisers and Boilermakers? Wouldn't adding someone with the star power of Clark mean more coverage? And if your top gun is holstered ...'

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted