1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gregg Doyel sucks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hawkeyes4Ever, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hachat11

hachat11 Member

That was my impression of Doyel as well, but that's only on a couple meetings, so I could certainly be way off.
    He spoke at an AP workshop under the topic of writing online or something, but all he did was pump himself up and say how funny he was (which he wasn't, BTW). He also enjoyed ripping people who responded to his columns by using "Your Mom" jokes. I thought I was in junior high for a minute.

But, on the other hand, he's good enough to be writing in a position I'd love to be even considered for, so he's obviously talented.
    But his style just isn't for me.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A lot of people are talented, though. What Doyel has is the ability and willingness to piss people off. News organizations love the idea of a reaction - because it means you're reading - than discourse - which means you're thinking. Again, journalism has the potential to be thoughtful. But it takes discipline, patience, grace and, frankly, a conscience. As long as the game is to show up at sporting events, boot up the "take" computer, and hibernate inside the vacuum of opinion world, guys like Mariotti, Whitlock, Simers are destined to rise, because of their willingness to combine situational ethics and the tactics of a great high school forensics champ. So long as the gift is defined by one's commitment to "bring it" regardless of ethical consistency, guys like Doyel trot across the country, their sleeves awash in the blood of their cold, ever-discerning hearts.

3. jaredk

jaredk Member

It takes the old-old-real old-school thinking of the late San Diego columnist Jack Murphy, who advised us to "exercise the restraint born of good taste."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.