1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gregg Doyel sucks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hawkeyes4Ever, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. To rip someone's writing ability while hiding behind the anonymity of a fanboy screen name is ludicrous.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

To call something ludicrous while...

Aww, forget it.

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

the point being that 'being first' is relatively worthless anymore - half the time nobody knows who really is first - and even if you're first your scoop lasts for about three minutes. it's all insider stuff - readers could give a fuck.

can somebody answer this: do writers get worse when they migrate from print to the online sites? is style less important? do they sink under the weight of sheer verbiage?

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

To speak strictly abstractly about our site:

1) Style is extremely important. We run that part just like a regular paper.

2) Yes, they're given more room in terms of how far they can go, and what lines they can cross, no doubt, BUT ..

3) Our writers generally don't go long in terms of the actual words at all, except when circumstances warrant. They understand the medium. In fact, they probably write shorter than they did in newspapers.

5. Are you going to finish your thought? Your leaving me hanging here.

6. Are 99 percent of the people on this site kids covering preps in Pocatello or working the slot in Cedar Rapids? Hey, nothing wrong with that -- we all started somewhere -- but crap like this attack on Gregg Doyel, who admittedly can be a real egotistical hardass but is totally legit as a writer and a reporter, smacks of pure jealousy. Just like every almost other attack on every other national columnist -- SAS excepted -- smacks of pure jealousy. Lay off, kids. Read and learn.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, to be fair, number of posts doesn't equate to knowledge. You could have 10 posts and be correct about any number of subjects. You could also have 10,000 and be DyePack.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me if Hawkeyes was Gregg Doyel, frankly.

Doyel can turn a phrase, but many of his columns are angry and immature. I think he takes his role a little too seriously, too. His work reminds of a guy I knew who told me while reporting on 9/11: "I didn't cry. I couldn't even reflect. I'm a journalist. We can't do that." Uh-huh.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

on your knees cock bag.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What makes you think kids in Pocatello or Cedar Rapids who have had no business with the man would be behind this, as opposed to someone he's crossed paths with in the national media who might have a bone to pick?

11. You're an idiot. If you work for an online site, you suck? Tell that to Pat Forde, Gene Wojciechowski and Adrian Woj ... What an assclown ...

12. My opinion is that you're a dumbass

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.