1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gregg Doyel sucks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hawkeyes4Ever, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Agreed.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't know, the guys over at firejoemorgan.com seem to really think highly of Mike, or as they call him, "Hatguy".

3. There's actually someone out there in 2007 who thinks having a columnist gig at one of the big national Internet sites is something you get "stuck" in. That's hilarious.

4. The guy who started this thread is a tool. That fact notwithstanding, Gregg Doyel does suck pretty hard.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Gregg Doyle is becoming Skip Bayless when he could have become known as a superb features writer.

6. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

That's a fair point. I'd add that he's out of his element columnizing on sports other than college hoops.

7. writer200707

writer200707 New Member

I actually enjoyed reading Doyel when he was covering college basketball. Whether you love him or hate him, people wanted to read him.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

My main argument with the internet guys on CBS sportsline, espn.com, etc. is that it's awful easy for them to claim a scoop, or at least not attribute information gathered from other sources, because most of the readers have no idea that they might have picked up something from another newspaper's web site or other sources. I've been told my other writers that they've had a news item they've known for a fact they broke, and Dodd comes out later that day claiming he's broken it. Not singling out Dodd here, because I'm sure other reporters, on internet sites or otherwise, might do that same thing. In this day and age of instant news, it's pretty easy to skate on attribution, such as 90 percent of the espn crawlers.

9. hey, i'll rip who i want to rip, and there are good reasons for that. I like to read the good columnists, not those who just like to preen and shout under their photo sig.

since someone asked, here's who i like: wilbon. simers. albom most of the time. posnanski almost every time. cowlishaw. whitlock. reilly, the one time a month he actually works at it.

yeah, these are the big boys, but take note: outside of simers (he's just for laughs, but i love the way he pulls it off), these guys use their columns to break news, to make us think, and to push us to think one or two steps further than we might have.

anyone can entertain, at least in his or her mind. but i read newspapers to think harder, and get perspectives outside the realm, and there are plenty of columnists just trying to show us how smart they are.

we all know you're pretty smart. what we want you to do is show us how smart you really can be in that seat. it takes a lot of work and, yes, a lot of phone calls. but that's how you get it done.

gregg doyel is just an example i use. but compare any doyel column to any wilbon column, and you'll see who really came to work that day.

and, by the way, i don't mind or care who disagrees with me on this. i'm here to provoke opinion on this and see who talks about what.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Albom and Whitlock. Hooboy. forget anyone taking you seriously now.

But maybe the King Clown Pimp will PM you and you two can be buddies!

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

By the way ... Albom has been pretty quiet on Florida spanking OSU. I guess he thinks Michigan would have found a way to protect Henne.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

People too easily get confused between disliking someone's column persona and calling them a no-talent hack.

Doyel is abrasive, and yeah he's got a schtick, but he's very talented and a very good reporter. Saying he's "stuck" at CBS Sportsline is truly ignorant. Doyel worked for the Miami Herald and had a very high-profile job at the Charlotte Observer. Then he gets a better paying job at Sportsline and gets promoted from there to general columnist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.