1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greg Paulus to Syracuse for football?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Apr 15, 2009.

1. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Re: Greg Paulus talked to RichRod about playing QB at UM; Mustang punches hobo

I'm a cynic, but I think this is a pretty cynical take on this.. Greg Paulus was, by many accounts, a better high school quarterback than basketball player. He's got a year left. He identified a program that is floundering, maybe could fit him in and is also a pretty good academic place where he could add something useful to his already useful Duke degree. How is that desperately hanging on? He's a kid. Maybe he missed football and figured he had a year, why not try?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

If he really cared about playing, I think he would find a school where he knows he would be the man. It's unlikely if not completely out of the question that he will be that at Michigan with only three weeks of formal practice to compete for the job.

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Of course it is....but let's not forget that if this is real and he has any ability left.. he will be there for months, watching tape, learning the playbook and working with the receivers....then practice begins.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If Paulus signs he will be a third stringer.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I can't think of any Division I-A school that is so desperate for a QB it would dump on the kids it has to let a basketball player transfer in and start.

This is a great situation for the kid. He gets one more kick at the can as a football player and degrees from Duke and Michigan look good on any job seeker's resume.

And before you raise the argument, NCAA rules on grad student-athletes don't allow him to transfer to a I-AA school and play immediately so that wasn't an option.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Way to build that program, DickRod... Why couldn't he have pulled the trigger on Bama...

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If he didn't hire an agent, he can still play the additional year in college. If he hired an agent, then he's no longer eligible to play college sports for that extra year.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Agreed. Even when my college newspaper did April Fool's issues (one page of fake news with Page 2 being the REAL news), I despised it.

Doing an April Fool's story is bad practice period, no matter what level of media outlet you're working for.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'm not worried about all this: Tate Forcier's gonna be the starter.

10. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

I REALLY hope you're right. I might refuse to watch if Paulus were to take snaps.

11. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

He's in Syracuse this week. A buddy of mine just called and said ESPN is reporting that he signed with SU, but I can't find that anywhere. Has anyone else seen this?

12. Jim Halpert

Jim Halpert Member

ESPNEWS' scroll says "Duke basketball G Greg Paulus likely to join Syracuse football team, ESPN's Joe Schad reports."

And Schad's twitter feed contained the following two messages:

"Watch for Greg Paulus to Syracuse. This would be a great match!"

...and a few hours later...

"To reiterate, Paulus to Syracuse likely. Not done, just likely. Might be done this weekend. Likely a great homecoming story."

http://twitter.com/schadjoe

Draft saved Draft deleted