1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greg Oden's Missing Street Cred

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mmac, May 21, 2007.

1. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

The column was a collection of sights and sounds from the tournament. I thought it fit nicely.

2. enigami

enigami Member

"One of the reasons black men in general, and specifically those in the NBA have an image problem is because too many of us treat street cred as a precious commodity to obtain, as opposed to what it really is -- the byproduct of unfortunate circumstances."

...this is one of the most culturally insightful things I've ever read on ESPN.com, something I've suffered through dozens of Scoop Jackson columns only to never read until now.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

[​IMG]

Granville Waiters would appreciate it if you all stop any jokes about prematurely old-looking centers from Ohio State.

4. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

So you'd have a problem if I said that leading Ohio State to the Final Four is so easy, a caveman could do it?

;)

5. IU90

IU90 Member

I'm just impressed you made it all the way through dozens of Scoop Jackson columns, I'm usually forced to bail out halfway through.

But, I agree, I also thought this Granderson article was nicely written.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you live for racism li' sister.

7. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

sorry to tell you, but "street cred" isn't something mentioned in the streets. That's media contrived drivel the author of that article gave life. No one I witnessed growing up in Brooklyn ever mentioned "street cred."

Draft saved Draft deleted