1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greenspun Media in LV

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spartacus, Aug 19, 2006.

1. spartacus

spartacus Member

I am not sure if this is a Journalism or Jobs topic. Moddy, feel free to move wherever it belongs.

A "friend" of mine wants to know about Greenspun Media in Las Vegas. They run the Las Vegas Sun and a bunch of magazines. Can anyone tell me, um, I mean my "friend" about this company? Naturally, he's doing his own investigating, but feedback from the board would be appreciated.

Good place, bad place? Management typical, or not? Any weirdness that would shout "stay away?" That kind of thing.

I'll hang up now and listen.

Thanks.

2. zman82

zman82 Member

i applied for a job that was listed on this board last year and with a few days got a call from someone in HR saying they (editorial?) were interested and would contact me soon. after about a week i called back and they said the position had been filled. i know it's kinda pointless info, but take it for what its worth.

3. Depends on what you are applying for with them. They took a very good p.m. paper and wrecked it last year as the whole paper is now just one section folded into the R-J. They laid off some good and talented people when that happened. So if the gig is a Sun gig, be wary because who knows what the immediate future is for that. I don't know much about the mags they do.

4. Tierra

Tierra New Member

It'd be surprising if the Sun had an opening in sports right now.

They've got eight community weeklies with about 30k throws each, and sports folks at those papers seem to do about 8-10 stories a week (prep stuff, community sports, etc). Don't know of any other sports positions in the company.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

One of our semi-frequent denizens was one of those talented people in sports who needlessly lost his job.

If he chooses to chime in or PM with more information, he will.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

A friend of a friend is an editor with those suburban weeklies...I chatted with him once about a job, but at the time they didn't have any openings that would pay me anywhere close to what I was making. This guy seems to like it OK over there, but he really loves living in Vegas. (He's a bachelor in his 40s who likes to gamble.)

7. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

After the Greenspuns decided to make the Sun an insert, one could argue any more than two sports staffers is needless. Kantowski and Haney ... the rest is overkill.

Draft saved Draft deleted