1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Green Zone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No, they don't want to see them. Not enough distance from the event, and they correctly suspect the movies are criticial of America's presence in the Middle East. Hell - I'm critical of America's presence in the Middle East, and I'm already tired of seeing these movies. Many of the best Vietnam movies - Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Born On the Fourth, Hamburger Hill, Coming Home - had the advantage of some distance and, thus, disillusionment had set in. In our 24/7 culture, moviemakers feel like commenting RIGHT NOW, and their films are often polemics as a result. What they fail to appreciate is that the talking heads of TV have already covered these bases and slathered them in barbecue sauce. A movie could posit pretty much any position, and there are built-in talking points to assail it.

I mean, go to a book store. Goodness - how many friggin books do we need about Iraq? 100? 1,000? How many ways can we look at something before it's even ended? It's hard to glean clarity from a situation while the iron of emotion is still really hot. People who were wrong - on either side of the debate - aren't going to admit their errors yet. Not with so much still at stake. And until you can get some measure of equanimity on what's transpired over there, the films (and most books) are flawed, at best.

Hollywood's filmmakers still remain outraged, to some extent, over friggin Vietnam. Remember, Hollywood is larded with Baby Boomers who still haven't forgotten. The key difference between that war, and this one, is the concept of a volunteer army. It's a lot harder to be outraged when the current troops, at some base level, enlisted with the possibility of war happening.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good stuff Alama.

I think the problem with Iraq war movies are poor sound tracks.

The directors had a lot more to work with for Viet Nam.

As far as Green Zone I think too much is being read into it. It is an entertaining 2 hours as far as movies go. It's not a deep political expose.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Wanted to add that, based on box office returns over, oh, the last year, people are choosing to see one or two movies over and over again. They won't go see six movies during the holidays. They'll see Avatar four times in 3D, 2D, IMAX, etc. They'll see New Moon five times. Or The Blind Side with 3 families. They want the same experienced over and over and over.

It's astonishing to me that Alice in Wonderland, a middling, <i>weird</i> film, has made 220 million in 10 days. It's making six times what any other movie is making.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A problem for Green Zone is that another Iraq War movie, Hurt Locker, which is outstanding, just won the Best Picture Oscar. Have to be a lot of moviegoers who decide if they're going to see an Iraq War movie, they'll go with the award winner.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Having seen both I would guess that mass audience would like Green Zone more. Not near as good movie but more fast paced action.

Draft saved Draft deleted