1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

green day/u2 open up the saints game!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Sep 25, 2006.

1. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

I loved it, but does anyone else think that Bono is beginning to look like Robin Williams?

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Fuck that. The older Billie Joe gets the more he looks like Liza Minelli.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Who gave up on quality and relevance even before the Stones or Aerosmith did.

4. Sly

Sly Active Member

I think Adam Vinatieri would like to disagree with you.

5. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Along with other valid reasons posted here for why U2 was involved is the fact that The Edge has headed up the Music Rising foundation pretty much from the get-go. He's been heavily involved in helping get instruments back to musicians of all types in that region -- for bands, churches, schools, etc. He's visited New Orleans a few times during this process, for fundraisers, etc. I think his presence there since Katrina blew through was likely the leading factor in U2 being asked to participate Monday night. And I don't care about the Patriots, so yes, prior to Monday night, the last kick-ass thing that happened in that stadium was halftime of the 2002 Super Bowl.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Aside from "Beautiful Day," most of their 1990s output was utter pablum. Still can't get over how the band that gave us Joshua Tree and War actually wrote the lyrics to stuff like "Mysterious Ways" and said, "yes! That's it! That'll stand up next to ANYTHING we've done before!"

Last album was a nice comeback, though.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I have always thought that.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Beautiful Day wasn't 1990s.

1990s was pretty much time in the wilderness for them.

But.... they could always blow the roof off live.

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

The Edge...

—The Madhavok

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Its against the law to change the words to "House of the Rising Sun" .Green Day should be arrested.

Interesting that U2 has a book coming out today. There is full page ad in the Times.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I somehow picture the NFL as Commissioner Gordon pointing a giant spotlight to the sky, a la the Batsignal, anytime they need an opening act. Next thing you know, U2 comes swooping in out of the darkness ready to roll. It's like they're on standby, knowing that at any minute, the NFL might need them.

It's kind of enough already. Can't the NFL get Bruce Springsteen or somebody?

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

U2 is the new Lenny Kravitz.

Draft saved Draft deleted