1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest TV actors

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by digger, May 28, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Jackpot.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's a good flick. It's got the Kevin Smith stamp of approval. Although it probably helps that he wrote it.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Carroll O'Connor and Ed Asner, both of whom made the transition from comedy to drama (or vice versa) and were very good at both.

James Garner.

4. part-timer

part-timer Member

Russ will always be Roger Rococco from Wiseguy for me.
    If there were more episodes on the adults, would it still be called Boy Meets World?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Judd Hirsch is the first name I thought of... Taxi, NUMB3RS, I know he's been on a couple others...

John Ritter had Three's Company, Three's a Crowd, Hooperman, 8 Simple Rules and at least one or two more...

Kelsey Grammar, Ted Danson, Michael J. Fox, Charlie Sheen...

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Charlotte Rae? I guess you take the good, you take the bad.

I never thought Polly Holliday got enough credit.

Let's see ... I guess this depends on how you define greatness. For sheer staying power, the blonde on General Hospital (whose name escapes me, which makes the whole greatness thing seem dubious, except that I hate soap operats) probably needs to be considered.

I'd strongly support Kelsey Grammer's candidacy here. And Don Knotts was exceptional.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Kyle Chandler, with Early Edition (my favorite underrated show of the 90s) and the best show on television, Friday Night Lights.

Kelsey Grammar, with an unprecedented 20-year run as Frasier Crane.

Michael J. Fox, although I wasn't a friend of either Family Ties or Spin City.

Bea Arthur, with one hell of a body of work.

Alan Alda, who would've made it just for MASH, but had a memorable run on ER.

Carroll O'Connor is a lock. On the Mount Rushmore.

Lucille Ball is a lock.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Never thought I'd see Tony Danza, who never met a role he couldn't overact, on this list. Jack Klugman, another guy who'd fit that bill, belongs on here a lot more than Danza.

9. Jack Lord.

He had a nice run of short appearances on other series before Steve McGarrett was the King of Television from 1968 to 1980.

10. If you're looking for someone with multi-series longevity, how about Jason Bateman in Silver Spoons, Valerie/Valerie's Family/Hogan Family and Arrested Development?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think someone should have to be on two hit shows to qualify.... Granted, some of these played the same character on both shows, but still...

Andy Griffith
    Don Knotts
    Dick Van Dyke
    Mary Tyler Moore
    Judd Hirsch
    Tony Danza
    John Ritter
    Dana Delany
    John Larroquette
    Ted Danson
    Kelsey Grammar
    Carroll O'Connor
    Lucille Ball
    Michael J. Fox
    Bea Arthur
    Sherman Helmsley
    James Garner
    Jimmy Smits
    Bill Cosby

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Jeffrey Tambor for Arrested Development, The Larry Sanders Show, Three's Company/The Ropers, as well as recurring roles on Hill Street Blues and L.A. Law.

Draft saved Draft deleted