1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest team nickname ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Aug 26, 2006.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The old standby, the Orifino (Idaho) Maniacs. The state nut hut used to be located there.

And the Dickinson (N.D.) Midgets.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Compton Tarbabes.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Prep division: Ozark Hillbillies

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I'll go with IJAG..

Macon Whoopees.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Macon Whoopee has to be near the top of the list in terms of a catchy connection between the city or town name and the nickname.

But I've always liked obscure names like the Toledo Mud Hens. Around lacrosse and junior hockey circles in Ontario, we've had the Dixie Beehives, the Richmond Hill Dynes, the Hamilton Fincups, the Mimico Mountaineers and, a tip of the hat to Huggy here, the Brampton Excelsiors.

And since I've mentioned the Excelsiors, I can't forget two of their most storied rivals from B.C. -- the New Westminster Salmonbellies and the Coquitlam Adanacs.

Regarding Huggy's WOAA senior league mentions, the Clinton Radars got their name because the now-closed RCAF Station in Clinton was the home of Canada's first radar communications training school. A deactivated original radar screen from the days of the Second World War is still a prominent downtown landmark.

The Milverton 4 Wheel Drives were so named upon their founding in 1966 because their first sponsor was a local farm equipment dealership that was eager to promote its first line of 4WD tractors.

From what I understand, the Hensall Sherwoods got their name because apparently there was a Sherwood hockey stick factory in or near the town.

Another story that may or may not be true -- Shelburne's senior hockey team was supposed to have been called the Huskies, but when they got their sweaters they realized there had been a mistake. Instead of sending the jerseys back and getting them done right, the team figured it was just easier to change its name. So, even though there are no rivers or lakes in Shelburne, and no opportunities to fish there, the town's hockey team is still known as.....the Muskies.

[​IMG]

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Two more high schools in Kansas:

Heston Swathers and Palco Roosters, where the girls teams are known as the Lady Roosters.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

One of the Senior AAA hockey teams that plays in the local Saskatchewan circuit is the Battlford Beaver Blues. Mind you though, their isn't exactly a high precident set with the name of the league – The Wild Goose Hockey League.

One of the small towns in the middle of bumfuck Alberta has their high school teams named the Raiders. Nothing worng with that, until it is combined with the town name: Castor. There you have it, the Castor Raiders. Say it together now. And I'm not even kidding.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Columbia (Mo.) Hickman Kewpies. Or, in heds, the Kewps.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

What I like are the informal nicknames that appear to have little or no connection to the real ones, like the Toronto Maple Leafs (Buds) or the Montreal Canadiens (Habs).

There's a junior hockey team in Stratford called the Cullitons. They're named after their sponsor but they've maintained their old logo, an Indian head that dates back to when the team was called the Warriors. Some people informally call the team the Cullies but the local paper refers to them as "the Tribe."

10. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

The Macon Whoopee have folded of course. They've been replaced by the Macon Trax.

11. IDStauffer

IDStauffer Guest

In the JuCo class, the Scottsdale CC Fighting Artichokes

12. from the Southern League
    Carolina Mudcats
    cool caps: https://www.computer-geeks.com/gomudcats/merchandise/ProductListing.aspx?category=2

good food: http://www.cattailsrestaurant.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted