1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest team name ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Nov 30, 2007.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

The team owned by SI's (maybe former SI) Alexander Wolff. Paid 10 grand and wrote little columns about his team's goings-on. Played in two different arenas (one in Burlington and one in Barre).

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

The Amarillo Dillos deserve a mention.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Cairo (pronounced Cay-ro, as in Karo syrup) Syrupmakers

Johnson of Savannah Atom Smashers

And, of course, the Yuma Criminals.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Many years ago I covered an IHL team and the Flint Generals moved to another town and Flint got a new team. They had a name-the-team promotion and eventually were named the Spirits, but I always thought they missed a big marketing opportunity when they didn't name them the Flint Stones.

5. KP

KP Active Member

2 arenas would qualify them as a stable ABA franchise.

And when did Swing of the Quad Cities (Midwest League) come about? Didn't they used to be the Mallards or something?

6. KP

KP Active Member

Also, Poca (W. Va.) Dots

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

From Minnesota:

Blooming Prairie Awesome Blossoms.

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Simple. Downtown Pittsburgh is known as the Golden Triangle, thanks to how the rivers combine. Thus, Three Rivers Stadium as well.

Anybody remember the XFL's New York Hitmen? ;)

Hey, does anybody remember the XFL?

And another vote here for Macon Whoopees. I believe it was plural.

http://www.ssur.org/research/XFLLogoSheets/images/NYNJHitmen_CL.jpg
    [/quote]

9. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

So taken was I by the above names, I googled this heretofore unheard of conference that you speak of.

Thus, I was able to find that, in women's basketball action, the Central Arkansas Sugar Bears recently defeated the Arkansas-Monticello Cotton Blossoms.

Could we possibly get more antebellum? Is there another school in this conference like the Eastern Arkansas Gentlemen of the Highest Breeding and Comportment?

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I followed the Cal League rather closely through the 90s. I believe the Quakes lineage can be traced back to the Ventura Gulls (the closest minor-league team to me when I first lived in SB County), who played there for one season before moving to San Bernardino (the Spirit), then SB moved to Rancho and the Salinas team moved to become the new San Bernardino Spirit.

Went to a game in Riverside when the team was called the Pilots. They ended up moving to Lancaster.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ann Arbor Huron High School had River Rats well before Albany...

And I have three from the upper peninsula of Michigan -- Kingford Flivvers, Ishpeming Hematites and of course, the Watersmeet Nimrods....

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Fluvanna County Flying Flucos.

Draft saved Draft deleted