1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Super Bowl ... EVAR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Jan 25, 2008.

?

OK, kids. In honor of the asskicking (or monumental upset) to come, what's the best Super Bowl?

1. XXIII: San Francisco 20, Cincinnati 16

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. XXV: N.Y. Giants 20, Buffalo 19

13 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. XXXII: Denver 31, Green Bay 24

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. XXXVI: New England 20, St. Louis 17

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. XXXVIII: New England 32, Carolina 29

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

For the fanboy in me, Super Bowl XXXI is closest to my heart and it wasn't a bad game at all. Reggie White's consecutive sacks are my favorite all-time Super Bowl memory.

For the non-fanboy, ersatz-historian in me, Super Bowl X was better than Super Bowl XIII. Super Bowl XIV, Steelers-Rams, might be better in its way than either because of the upset factor. The 9-7 Rams led in the fourth quarter of that game before the Steelers cemented their excellence.

As mentioned, Super Bowl XVII was a good one that is rarely mentioned among the greats.

In its way, Super Bowl XVIII was gripping in a different way because the Raiders so thoroughly beat the Redskins, a team viewed as invincible. Marcus Allen's reverse-field TD run blew my mind as a 12-year-old. Looked a lot more electric on live TV than NFL Films' version.

Super Bowl XXV was the best played, and Super Bowl XXXVII was the most exciting in my opinion.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

XIV - way underrated. Probably NFL Films' best Super Bowl movie ever - a 3 p.m. kickoff at the Rose Bowl on a sunny day in January provides incredible visuals, and the Sabol boys took advantage of 'em all. Some of their most memorable shots ever:
    * The panoramic shot of the reflectors held up by more than 100,000 people.
    * Chuck Noll heading to the locker room down 13-10 with a WTF scowl, charging at a cameraman, then laughing.
    * Rams fans' reactions.
    * The Bradshaw-Stallworth TD pass, with the discofied 1812 Overture - how gloriously cheesy.
    * And probably my fave, late third quarter, the final rays of sun on the San Gabriel Mountains, then panning down into the virtually darkened stadium.

XVII - Helluva game, though probably the most hammered I've gotten watching a Super Bowl

XVIII - My old roommate let out a shout of "You're fucked, Marcus!" that could be heard across Boston when the Redskins' right side closed in on him. He shut up quick when Marcus found that hole up the middle.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

NFL Network replayed XX a couple of nights ago -- the original broadcast (sans the pregame Silent Minute), not the NFL version.

The NFL could make A TON more money than it already does by allowing original broadcasts of great games available to purchase. It was just fascinating to watch XX. It took 15 minutes to find out the score and what quarter the game was in. Though it brought back great memories of the AFC broadcast crew of Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

My brother recorded that for me to watch next week on vacation. He also found a DVD set of nine complete games and all three playoff games from the Bears' '85 season.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I was talking about this with a guy at work yesterday. No score box, no clock, no fantasy stats, no sponsored kickoffs or other useless graphics. It was great to hear Olsen again. Tremendous colour man.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Was fortunate enough to cover all five of the games in the poll. Of course, covered more than one of the games in the worst Super Bowl thread, too.
    It is impossible to separate one's personal experience from evaluating a sports event, but I'm going to try.
    As a pure football game, I'd go with Super Bowl XXXII by a slight margin over XXXIV. It had themes galore. Elway finally winning, upset, the whole Terrell Davis goes blind and Shanahan uses him anyway deal, and it was a back and forth contest with many big plays for all 60 minutes.
    But as a professional experience, it has to be XXXVI. The Patriots won a Super Bowl. At that point, dynasty wasn't exactly what people envisioned as their future. The franchise had been NFL comic relief for 40 years. I'd covered for 20, and never in my wildest dreams expected them to ever win the title on my watch.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Best two Bowls I saw were the Carolina loss with Delhomme lighting people up, and the Steve McNair loss to St. Louis.
    The Giants/Buffalo game was boring for long stretches, if you remember.

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

XXV was probably the greatest single-game coaching performance I've seen. There was no reason that the Giants, with Jeff Hostetler should have beaten the Bills. But they held the ball for 40+ minutes and got a gutsy performance from Ottis Anderson.

10. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I don't remember any boring stretches. Those long, time-consuming drives (didn't the Giants convert an absurd amount of third downs on one drive?) were hardly "boring." Those were things of beauty.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

OJ Anderson was brilliant for a stretch during the late 80s and early 90s, I'll give you that.
    But if Norwood doesn't go "wide-right" are we still comparing Parcells to Lombardi and Walsh, as we so often do?
    Tuna's accomplishments are greatly padded thanks to this game.
    My alma mater had three players contributing in this game and I did think it had a dynamic ending.
    I remember watching at a party in Dallas.
    For me, overall, it isn't among the "best-ever"

12. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Completely agree on Parcells. His last year in Dallas was unbelievable, as the ESPNites seemed wholly incapable of criticizing Herr Tuna for any of the mess.

Draft saved Draft deleted