1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest sports teams - last 50 years

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, Jul 18, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always wondered why people think the '89 49ers were better than the '84 team. I realize Rice wasn't there yet, but the 84 team went 15-1 and smoked some teams during the regular season and weren't really threatened in the post-season.
    The 70s Steelers and Reds, 90s Cowboys.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

'89 was Rice and Montana at their peak as well as Lott at safety instead of corner, Brent Jones, Charles Haley and the rest of Walsh's 10-year build. The one thing arguing for '84 is that Walsh was on the sideline, but that was such a machine I don't think it mattered.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'll beat Michael Gee to it and throw in the '86 Celtics. Bird at his peak, then Walton addition.

For the Lakers '80s teams, I'd go with 1987. Kareem was certainly better in 1985 -- his Finals that year are among the more underrated performances -- but I'd take '87 because of how much Magic had improved as an all-around offensive threat, plus Worthy was at his peak and Thompson came in.

1992 Cowboys had that unreal offense -- not just the Big 3 at their peak but also Harper and Novaceck -- and then the No. 1 defense, even if it didn't have the reputation for dominance as some more famous units.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

2001-02 Red Wings
    2003-04 Arsenal
    1998 Yankees
    1985 Bears
    1995-96 Bulls

I loved two of those teams, hated two others and begrungingly respected the fifth

5. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

Some good mentions so far, a few teams that haven't been mentioned -

1. 1986 Mets
    2. 1989 A's (a better squad than those '70s teams, steroids or not)
    3. 1991 Redskins (possibly the most underrated NFL team of all-time)

6. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

What about the 1998 Broncos? Went 14-2 and routed the Falcons in the Super Bowl.

I will maintain to my dying day that team would have beaten the 15-1 Vikings in the Super Bowl if Minnesota had made it.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

'86 Mets got lucky, and I think a lot of the judging is based on the cumulative careers of those on the team.

And as much as I like the Sixers, they are one of only two teams in Stern's tenure to only win a single title. The other being the Mavs - they almost seem like flukes.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'll throw a couple more out there:

1962 Packers: Only lost that Turkey Day game to the Lions.

1966 Packers: Lost twice out of 14 by a combined four points.

1975 Reds: Won 108 games, even if they had to go to 7 with the Red Sox.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Money. But then I am sure few are surprised I'm agreeing with this. They won four cups in five years and five in seven years, although the fifth one was sans some guy named Gretzky.

I would be remiss, however, not to bring up the Montreal Canadiens who won five Cups in a row in the 70s with a lineup full of hall of famers, followed by the 80-84 Islanders who won four straight although they are widely considered the forgotten dynasty sandwiched between the Habs and Oilers runs. They were still a hell of a team with guys like Bossy, Potvin, Trottier and Billy Smith among others.

Also, are we keeping this to pro leagues? Cause the original Dream Team is wondering why they have not been mentioned yet.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

the 1976-77 raiders are vastly underrated.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Meh. Only reason they won in '76 was the Steelers lost Harris and Bleier to injuries. :)

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

they also beat the steelers in the opener that year you *&^#$. ; P

Draft saved Draft deleted