1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Single Baseball Call

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

"Smith, corks one into right down the line! It may go ... Go crazy, folks! Go crazy! It's a home run! And the Cardinals have won the game, by the score of 3-2, on a home run by The Wizard! Go crazy!"

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

3. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Rick Rizzs, one of the blandest announcers in the game, had a terrific call in '95. The extended version:

"Here's the pitch. Swing, and it's a ground ball, and it gets on by Snow! Down the right field line into the bullpen! Here comes Blowers! Here comes Tino! Here comes Joey! The throw to the plate is cut off. The relay by Langston gets by Allanson! Cora scores! Here comes Sojo...he scores! Everybody scores!"

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"And for those of you scoring at home......get a life".

Bob Costas (I believe)

5. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

"He's sittin' on 714... Here's the pitch by Downing... swinging... there's a drive into left-center field... . that ball is gonna beeee... Outta here!! It's gone! It's 715!"

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

As a SoCal native (but not a Dodgers fan), the Buck and Scully calls on the Gibson homer are both great, but I prefer Buck.

Scully: Long fly ball to deep right field (see the brake lights in the background), she is .... GONE! .......... In the year of the improbable, the IMPOSSIBLE has happened.

Buck: And the pitch for Gibson coming here from Eckersley. Gibson, swings, and a fly ball to deep right field, THIS IS GOING TO BE A HOME RUN! UNBELIEVABLE! A home run for Gibson, and the Dodgers have won the game, 5-4, I don't believe what I just saw! ........... I don't BELIEVE what I just saw!"

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that was Milo Hamilton.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wasn't that Tom Cheek on Joe Carter's homer in the '93 WS?

9. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Vin Scully had a nice moment on another Kirk Gibson homer in the World Series. Fifth game in 1984, with the Tigers already leading, Gibson hits a three-run shot into the upper deck at Tiger Stadium off Rich Gossage. Detroit was up 3 games to 1 and this homer put the clinching game out of reach. First base was open and it looked like they were going to walk him. Dick Williams came out to talk to Gossage about it and they decided to pitch to him. As the meeting is taking place, Scully talks about how Sparky Anderson told him Gibson's first at bat in the big leagues was a three-pitch strikeout against Gossage. Meeting ends, and Gibson hits a rocket. There was no doubt from the crack of the bat and all Scully said was: "And there it goes."

And then nothing. Just pictures and crowd noise. The next hitter was Chet Lemon, who struck out. The entire way through Lemon's at bat, Scully still said nothing, letting the pictures tell the story. It was brilliant. At one point, the camera catches Gibson in the dugout face to face with Anderson and you can see Anderson talking to Gibson about how the Padres were going to walk him and changed their minds.

10. chazp

chazp Active Member

"We'll see you tomorrow night." - Jack Buck as Kirby Puckett's home run in the 11th inning forces a seventh game of 1991 series.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Fernando Valenzuela's no-hitter

12. Ensign Pulver

Ensign Pulver Member

"Koufax is in big fucking trouble! Big trouble, baby! All right. Tresh is the next batter. Tresh looks in. Koufax... Koufax gets a sign from Roseboro. He kicks once. He pumps. He fires. It's a strike! Koufax's curve ball is snapping off like a fucking firecracker! All right, here he comes with the next pitch. Tresh swings. It's a long fly ball to deep left center! It's going! It's gone! Let's hear it!"

--Randall McMurphy, 1963 World Series

Draft saved Draft deleted