1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest sentence you've READ recently

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by the_rookie, Aug 20, 2006.

1. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

My vote would have to go to To Kill A Mockingbird

"...I never loved to read. One does not love breathing."

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Mine one day will be "Dear Moddy, we made a mistake and owe you a million bucks."
    The IRS has my address.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

They met Mathias on a day trip to Cozumel.

It seems innocuous enough but it was the first sentence of the novel I started last night and which I have nearly finished. Unputdownable doesn't begin to describe it.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Habitually obedient to John, I came up to his chair: he spent some three minutes in thrusting out his tongue at me as far as he could without damaging the roots: I knew he would soon strike, and while dreading the blow, I mused on the disgusting and ugly appearance of him who would presently deal it.

I just started reading Jane Eyre. That sentence made me laugh.

5. Moderator1

The real greatest sentence is from a James Crumley novel. I'll have to go find it. Something about sitting on a bar stool with a bulldog.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

A Saturday afternoon in November was approaching the time of twilight, and the vast tract of unenclosed wild known as Egdon Heath embrowned itself moment by moment.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Recently:

"It is impossible to look at a mullet-head and think: There goes a sentient being."

Michael Kelly

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a night out for Tron

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

"I want these mother fucking snakes off the mother fucking plane."

Snakes on a Plane, the No. 1 movie in America.

10. Moderator1

OK, it is The Last Good Kiss by James Crumley:

"When I finally caught up with Abraham Traehearne, he was drinking beer with an alcoholic bulldog named Fireball Roberts in a ramshackle joint just outside of Sonoma, California, drinking the heart right out of a fine spring afternoon."

OK, I fucking HATE it when people write "end of thread." HATE it. Want to reach through the computer and throttle their ass.
    But, top that gang.
    END OF THREAD.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

We were just outside Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

From the new Esquire magazine story by Tom Junod, about the two people charged in the Hurricane Katrina flooding deaths of residents at a New Orleans nursing home.

Junod called the defendents' attorney, James Cobb, and started off the interview with a "Mr. Cobb, How are you doing?"

His response:

Draft saved Draft deleted