1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

greatest NHL goalies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writing irish, Nov 11, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think of Kolzig in the Belfour/Osgood/Turco level. Good goalies, better than most of their contemporaries but not an elite one.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sawchuck, Hasek, Osgood, Cheveldae (okay now I'm just being ridiculous.)

3. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

agreed, Kolzig was a great regular season goalie, but to be in that company he needed to take it to another level in the playoffs, which he never came close to doing ...

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

One of the best trash-talk lines ever. Just ahead of Varitek's "We don't throw at .250 hitters."

5. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

The position has changed so much over the years this is difficult. In no particular order:

Roy changed the way the position was played. He adapted to the game.

Plante made a stand on his style of play and equipment and not many, if any, could do that at the time.

Sawchuk was a tortured soul, but he could play.

Glen Hall because of the balls it took to practice with Bobby Hull.

Broduer belongs in the conversation.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

What charmers, those Espositos.

7. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Oh, how I love Tony and Phil!

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Growing up, the Vernon house was the place to go on Halloween. Full chocolate bars.

But I do think Dryden was the most dominant goalie in any era. Brodeur and Roy would stop more pucks against the same shooters, but Dryden gets my vote as greatest.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

OK, that was just unfair.

10. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

My old man used to say Sawchuck.
    Youngest brother says Bernie Parent (74 Cup finals still burn at him).
    Me, I say Wayne Garrett. No, really, it's Dryden. Or Jacques Cloutier.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'd like to say Dryden, but those Canadiens teams were so far ahead of everyone else that it's hard to tell how good he really was. I want to dismiss Fuhr from any top goalies list, but I don't know if his high GAA's were really that bad for his era. Out of the ones I've seen, I'd have to say Roy or Brodeur.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Dryden had one of the most difficult challenges a goalie can face: go for five minutes without seeing a shot then making a key save.

Draft saved Draft deleted