1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

greatest NHL goalies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writing irish, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Stop making me like you.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My eldest kid was a goalie from Tyke through Midget and his hero was Patrick Roy.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hasek hasn't been named yet. I mean, I don't think he's the greatest ever but he's got to be on the list. Was always my favorite growing up.

Never did like Roy's teams much, but he's the best of my lifetime, hands down.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Roy, Hasek, Brodeur are all at the top of that list. Hasek almost by himself carried Buffalo just about every single year. Kolzig has to get some mention just below them. He won the Vezina a couple of times while they played. Kipprasoff is adding his name to the list as time goes on.

5. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

My hero as a kid was Tony Esposito.

Then I spent a couple of days on the ice with him and I got that over that realfuckingfast.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Flash

Flash Guest

Yeah but he smartened up and became a football player.

You dare speak the name that makes me grind my teeth!!

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Will I get suspended if I tell Gutter to die in a fire? ;) :D

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd put Roy at the top of my list. He just seemed like a presence. Brodeur is up there, too.

My favorite, though, will always be Ron Hextall. I know he's on no one's list for greatest ever, not even mine, but as a kid I still remember seeing him beat the hell out of that Canadiens player at the end of their '86 playoff series. There's something to be said for having a total psycho in the net.
    And as a Flyers fan, he just always seemed to be in goal for them for the better part of 15 years. Even when he left, it wasn't long before he returned. He was a like a hockey boomerang.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I can't hear you ... I have Patrick Roy's Stanley Cup rings stuck in my ear.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

I <3 Mike Vernon.

12. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I have no particular quarrel with Mr. Vernon. He and Stevie Y are the only Wings I could ever stand.

Draft saved Draft deleted