1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Left Handed Pitcher In History

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Oct 14, 2010.

1. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

HA! STATS ARE FOR NERDS AND RUIN MY ENJOYMENT OF THE GAME! SLIDE RULE!!!! PARENTS' BASEMENT!!!!!!11111ONE11!!!

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

johnson also had back problems. but anyway to say couldn't sniff his jock is either so far off base it's silly or it's just because he was your boyhood idol.f you need to watch both to have an opinion then i guess i can't have one. but i would say koufax at his best was better. overall i'd say he was better but not by a huge margin. i read a few years ago that martinez's best 4 or 5years his era was lower than the league avg by a greater amount than koufax's. i'll try to look it up but if anyone has a quick link can they post?

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I have no idea where you got that. But it's awesome. Especially the No. 1 in the middle of the ending.

I definitely like stats. But I definitely also think that makes me a nerd.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hartshorne's own.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Koufax's ERA is 19% lower than Johnson's, across 18% more innings.

6. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Furthermore, Johnson's 1998 season was omitted. He went 20-4 in 1997, 17-9 in 1999.
    In '98, he was 19-11 with a 3.28 ERA in 244.1 IP with 329 Ks and a 1.183 WHIP. Good season, yes, but not historically great.

7. secretariat

Oh, for Christ's sake. He had a bad back the first three months and was traded midseason to a different league. I left it out intentionally. Unless you want to include his Astros numbers, which would only help my cause.

And Azrael, I notice you ignored the part about different eras and ballparks.

Using the ERA+ for each set of five seasons (Yes, I know. SABERMETRICS! NERDS! SLIDE RULES!!!), Koufax averaged 167.8, meaning his ERA was 67.8 percent better than the rest of the league.

Randy Johnson's five years average 189.8.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yes, because I wasn't sure how to calculate it. Is there a formula for doing so? I'm asking seriously.

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

John Lennon.

10. secretariat

That would be ERA+.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjusted_ERA%2B

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I guarantee you there are very few of you who saw Koufax, Spahn or Carlton in their primes. I did.
    Randy Johnson does not belong in the same discussion with those three, no matter what his numbers are.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I saw Koufax and Carlton in their primes, Spahn towards the end of his career. Johnson was a wonderful pitcher, Hall of Famer for sure. Not close to Koufax or Carlton, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted