1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Football Movie Ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

For one thing, Mac Davis is about 5-foot-6.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

OK. But he's tough as saddle leather, Poot.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Which makes him a significantly bigger presence on the football field than Tom Cruise.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Number One with Chuck Heston also deserves a mention. Not a great movie, but the cooperation of NFL Films helps a lot.

5. Steak Snabler

True, but Cruise was portraying a high school defensive back. Davis was playing an NFL quarterback.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of 'All the Right Moves' and it has been a very, very long times since I've watched it, but wasn't Cruise supposed to be a top college prospect, though.

I'm just saying Cruise is as unlikley a football star as Mac Davis.

And Mac Davis is a better actor.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The best defensive back on my high school football team, which won the top-level state championship in a big state the year after I graduated with this kid as one of its stars, was a 5-2, 126-pound all-state wrestler. He couldn't even gain weight for football season because of the overlap with wrestling. He was recruited to play both sports in college and chose wrestling. He had unbelievable quickness and hit much, much harder than his size would indicate.

8. Steak Snabler

Yeah, and there's a recruiting scene where a coach talks about getting Cruise's character to the NFL if he comes to that school. Cruise says something like "How many 5-10, white cornerbacks are there in the NFL?" (yeah, 5-10 is a stretch, but still).

I love NDF and I loved Mac Davis in that role, but it requires a suspension of disbelief to picture him as an NFL QB.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Not a top college prospect. Basically just a kid with talent who was trying to land a scholarship so he could avoid the mills in his working-class town.

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Completely forgotten film. Wasn't there a unknown ending style...ie, the view doesn't know if Heston was dead or just injured?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Like Mac Davis, that kid also seems like a much better football player than Tom Cruise.
    That kid's probably a better actor, too.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Varsity Blues: Ali Larter. Whipped cream bikini. Just sayin' ...

Draft saved Draft deleted