1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Football Movie Ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jun 17, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

NFL.com has a bracket.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000212378/article/the-greatest-football-movie-ever-first-round

I've seen exactly half of them. My final four: Remember the Titans, Lucas, Rudy, The Program.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Like all the #1 seeds except Rudy. But Rudy got the weakest bracket so should advance by default.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'll take Longest Yard (original), All the Right Moves, Heaven Can Wait and Brian's Song in my final four.

Brian's Song over Longest Yard for the title.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Friday Night Lights got jobbed as No. 4 seed.

5. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

As did Wildcats as a No. 5.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

FNL is a 2-seed, 3 at worst.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Any winner besides Brian's Song would invalidate the entire subject.

Also:

1) I didn't see Wildcats on there but that was decently funny -- hell of a lot better than some of the junk on there.

2) Jerry Maguire, not Jerry McGuire. Also seeded way too low at #4 and a Sweet 16 matchup with Brian's Song. That's your championship game right there.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Final Four

North Dallas Forty, Brian's Song, Semi-Tough and Rudy. ND40 should win.

Surprised The Blind Side or Paper Lion didn't make it in. I like the original Longest Yard and All the Right Moves, but hard to go against Rudy. The Program is underrated as well as a football movie. Remember the Titans was too much paint by numbers for me.

There are some on the list that are great movies (Against All Odds, Jerry Maguire) but not great football movies. And others that are great football movies, but not great movies (Any Given Sunday, The Program).

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I figure I'm in the minority on this, but I thought Rudy was a contrived piece of shit. I hated it.

All the Right Moves is very underrated. There is great football in that movie.

Brian's Song is awesome. Loved Wildcats as well... Longest Yard, ND40 and Semi-Tough are all great.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

All the Right Moves is a 1-seed in every sense of the word.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's a great reminder of how terrible football movies are.

1. It's a real stretch to call 'Flash Gordon' a football movie.
    B. 'The Program' is laughably bad.
    iii. 'Any Given Sunday' is among the worst movies ever made, regardless of genre.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've seen 20, but I haven't missed any of the higher ranked ones. Football movies don't compare to baseball or boxing movies and are probably a step behind basketball movies, too.

North: This is the weakest region by far, with all due respect to the three best movies in it: North Dallas Forty, Lucas and The Longest Yard (original). They would be great second-tier choices in a region. I'm leaning toward The Longest Yard.

South: I haven't seen the Semi-Tough movie but hear it pales compared to the book. That said, Remember the Titans is the best high school sports movie ever made.

East: The seeding in this region is fucked up beyond all repair. All the Right Moves and Friday Night Lights are the best movies in the group. I'm picking All the Right Moves, though without the better TV series making it weak in comparison, I might have gone with Friday Night Lights.

West: Jerry Maguire might be the best movie on the list, but it isn't about football. That's tough because this is by far the strongest region. I mean, Brian's Song and The Program are in my top five football movies, maybe even my top four with Remember the Titans and All the Right Moves. I'll go with Brian's Song for its emotional resonance.

Championship: Remember the Titans beats Brian's Song, and everyone cries a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted