1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest cop shows

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think Rockford was a specific rebellion against Mannix, who had a secretary who looked like an Esquire model, drove a shiny Lincoln convertible and worked out of an office that looked like an art museum.

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I also liked Nash Bridges. But it was the 90s and I was a teenager. I didn't know any better.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A couple shows near the end of the run of Rockford, they had Jimbo attending the national convention of P.I.'s.

This was pre-Magnum so Tom Selleck guest starred in his ultra-perfect Lance White role, but it would have been fun if they had had some of the super-suave 60s P.I.'s like Mannix make cameo guest shots as conference attendees.

Maybe have Mannix down on his luck, rumpled, unshaven, still driving a 1968 Lincoln Continental (in 1978-79).

Supposedly a similar storyline was in the works in the late 80s on Magnum, and Rockford was going to make a guest appearance, but James Garner was in the middle of his extended bitter lawsuit against Universal, which distributed both shows, so it never came off.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  4. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Hallmark is having an Rockford marathon today. It holds up very well today including the picture quality on the HD channel. You could actually tell the beer Rocky pulled from the fridge was a taped over Coors can. It also is a kick to see the old LA scenery.

fossywriter8 likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The Police Squad pilot is on YouTube.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Such a great show, and so sadly short-lived.
    And almost no one recalls that it was a failed TV show before it became a movie.

Iron_chet likes this.
  7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

As for police shows, I've taken to watching 'Elementary' reruns.
    I like it.

HC likes this.
  8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I just got started on those recently. Really like it.

Buck likes this.
  9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The Zuckers love to repeat the quote an executive gave when they cancelled it - "Police Squad doesn't work as a TV show because you have to watch it."

10. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I was very young when the series started, but still remember watching it. Caught a few episodes Saturday. Was great to see again.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I work in TV so I actually get what the exec meant and it's probably a valid point... but yeah, it's a absurd thing to tell someone.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

heh, Yeah, they pointed out that the executive meant that people were usually doing other shit when they "watched" TV. By the way, for the Police Squad fans out there, the commentary tracks for the Naked Gun movies and Airplane are worth tracking down. They talk about a bunch of funny issues they had with the making of the movies, like how Pete Rose was their first pick instead of Kareem, and how TV stations kept asking them for permission to use the footage of OJ on the drug boat after he was charged with murder.

Draft saved Draft deleted