1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Catcher in Baseball History

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), May 12, 2008.

?

Who do you consider the greatest catcher in baseball history?

1. Yogi Berra

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Johnny Bench

23 vote(s)
    42.6%
  3. Pudge (Fisk or Rodriguez)

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Josh Gibson

8 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Other (please specify in thread)

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. Roberto Clemente (if he chose to play catcher)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Mini Ditka

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Neither was Stan.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Clemente is considered one of the most talented all-around players ever .. and not just in Pittsburgh.
    As far as I can remember, the first Latino superstar.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Clemente is near-mythological. Everywhere. Yes, in part because he died young; but also because he was one of the best players of his age. You could almost make the argument that we overvalue him in the 21st century because we never had to watch him grow old.

You want underrated to the broad, casual audience?

Frank Robinson.

4. And people are reminded of Clemente every year when the Roberto Clemente Award is given out.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

And what do you mean, devil, by Berra 15 all-star games; Clemente 22 and counting?" Clemente was chosen to 15 all-star games, played in 14.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Really? How many times have you seen him play?

I mean, he may very well be the best ever, but how the fuck would you know if you've never seen him play?

The best I've ever seen is Bench.

7. Mizzougrad96

I agree... Great player, but he doesn't deserve the same treatment as Jackie Robinson...

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Shit.

I was counting the AS after positions on baseballreference.

I'm an idiot.

I also did not realize that he is so respected outside of Pittsburgh, where "Bobby" never seem to get the respect he deserved, or so I have read.

My bad all around.

9. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Sorry to denigrate sabr, I didn't mean it exactly that way. I just would like more to go on, like old-timers who actually saw some of these people play. And as for Gibson, maybe he was the greatest ever, but I don't know that so I'll leave that to the rest of you to decide. All I'm saying now is that Bench was the best catcher I ever saw play the game and I'll leave it at that.

Sorry to upset some of you, but when you get to be my age, that can happen.

10. Mizzougrad96

I agree completely. Well said...

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No offense taken, casty, and no need to apologize for Bench, by any means. Just wanted to understand your idea on evaluating a player without having seen him, that's all.

12. Mizzougrad96

I find myself thinking about stuff like this when I'm watching SportsCentury.

They'll do someone like Joe Jackson or some oldtimer than virtually nobody living ever covered and then they come back with Mike Lupica giving their thoughts on him.

It would be a lot more credible if they went to file footage of someone who actually saw him play rather than someone who is pretending to know what the fuck they're talking about.

Draft saved Draft deleted