1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Catcher in Baseball History

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), May 12, 2008.

?

Who do you consider the greatest catcher in baseball history?

1. Yogi Berra

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Johnny Bench

23 vote(s)
    42.6%
  3. Pudge (Fisk or Rodriguez)

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Josh Gibson

8 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Other (please specify in thread)

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. Roberto Clemente (if he chose to play catcher)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Mini Ditka

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

DiMaggio is equally as scary with the strikeout stat.

That is probably my favorite stat in all of sports - to almost have as many home runs as strikeouts for your career.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Ted Simmons was well on his way till Whitey traded him to Brewers gulag hell, dammit.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not knocking Gibson. I'm sure he'd have been an all-time great if he'd have played in the majors. But one thing that always annoys me when people bring up the Negro Leaguers' stats is they never mention how much barnstorming they did. Those guys often played two or sometimes three games a day. It's a lot easier to hit 800 home runs when you play 250 or 300 games a year.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

And harder when you are riding an old bus from hellhole to hellhole, with no places that will serve you food or allow you to use the bathroom along the way...

It's comparing apples to oranges. The levels of talent they were consistently playing against were different. But you can't look at just stats. You have to go anecdotally and by what little investigation they have been able to do -- looking at Gibson's stats compiled from newspapers, against top-tier Negro League teams as opposed to semi-pro barnstorming games. And by all accounts, Gibson could hit for power and average on par with a great major league baseball player. It's a shame he didn't get the chance.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

You could also make the opposite argument -- that they played a more grueling schedule than the Major Leaguers and therefore should have been more worn down.

In general, it's remarkable how we generally ignore segregation when we talk about the greatest baseball players ever. The accomplishments of Major Leaguers before the color line was broken really should be looked at with more skepticism.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Josh Gibson. Fuckabuncha Johnny Bench.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Sorry, Bat. When the poll went up, Gibson wasn't on it. I was merely pointing out the oversight.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I have no problem with his inclusion. Just saying the stats thing bothers me when it comes to the Negro Leagues players.

9. In 1950 Yogi only struck out 12 times in 597 AB while still hitting 28 HR. He should have been the MVP that year but Rizzuto walked away with the award (even though Rizzuto was at best the 3rd best player on his own team behind Yogi and DiMaggio). If Yogi had won that 4th MVP - are we even having this discussion?

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Jake Taylor

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

In the immortal words of Sparky Anderson, "Leave us not embarrass anyone by comparing him to John Bench."

Bench gets my vote.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Because he couldn't throw your grandmother out at second.

Draft saved Draft deleted