1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest catch of all time?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Oct 19, 2006.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ron Swoboda and Tommy Agee had catches of a different kind in the 1969 WS that rank with any, especially Swoboda's, since he was a lumbering stiff in right field.

With an accompanying photo, of course ...

[​IMG]

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

What radio call? I don't tihink I've ever heard a radio call of that catch (methinks you're thinking of the Bobby Thomson HR, but whatever) - and wouldn't need to to know it was a great play, running to that death valley in the Polo Grounds to make that play and then get it back into the infield.

Oh, and Robinson's plays were in the 1970 WS.

Crimeny, at least know what the fuck you're talking about when you're trying to make a point.

3. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

It won't rate high on the athleticism scale, but Joe Rudi in the ninth inning of Game 2 in 1972, looking STRAIGHT INTO the late-afternoon sun at Riverfront, scaling the wall as high as he can, remains as impressive a catch as I've ever seen.

4. lantaur

It's too bad Willie Mays or Joe D. or anyone pre-1969 was able to play in an ALCS or NLCS so they could have made the "greatest catch of all-time."

A great catch by Chavez? No doubt. In a clutch game? No doubt? But best ever? Sorry, no.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Or Lou Piniella in the one-game playoff at Fenway in 1978.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Wah... wah... dusty dinosaur.

7. lantaur

What the fuck does that mean?

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The catch was in Death Valley at old Yankee Stadium, game 6 of the 1947 series. But keep going, you're on a roll.
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[​IMG]

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Chavez catch was fabulous but sorry, it doesn't come close to The Catch.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You're right... it ain't close.

It's clearly superior to Mays' grab.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It means....

"When I was young, we had to walk uphill to and from school."

"You whippersnappers would know great if it smacked you in the ass!"

Curmudgeonly take.

12. lantaur

Seeing as how I am fairly young, your comment makes no sense. I do, however, appreciate baseball history and don't think the latest thing is the greatest. For being Columbo, you certainly have no clue.

Draft saved Draft deleted