1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest baseball catch ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 26, 2012.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Bottom of the ninth, two outs, community college kid flies like Superman over the outfield fence to take away the game-tying homer and end the game. Absoultely amazing.

And Jeff Passan has the story, of course:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/catch-for-the-ages--derrick-salberg-gains-instant-fame-with-one-giant-leap.html

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Superman that ball!

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

how did he ever clear that two-and-a-half-foot fence? take that shit, willie mays!

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"I went to a baseball game, and a Fosbury Flop broke out."

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Really?!? Best catch ever?

If it wasn't for that low fence its a pretty routine crash into the wall grab.

6. sprtswrtr10

sprtswrtr10 Member

This seems like a good thread to ask this question.
    For me, the three greatest catches I've seen have been that twisting, turning home-run saving catch by Gary Matthews Jr., the Jim Edmunds catch in which he was diving toward the center-field wall, his back to the plate, and then there's the one I can never find, but only remember. That one was Jerry Royster, I believe in left field at Atlanta Fulton County Stadium, in which he ends up stuck on top of the fence, half his body in the park and half his body out of it. Anybody remember that one? Anybody know where to find it?

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Jim Edmonds alone had five or 10 catches better than this guy's. Still a great play, though.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

edmonds was glorious. griffey was a fucking human highlight reel. but mays' catch in the series tops them all ... end of thread.

9. mb

mb Active Member

So completely and utterly untrue.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Holy crap, that was incredible. I was scoffing at the thread title until I saw the video. Wow. It is, at minimum, a defensible opinion, at least in my eyes.

However, beware, any time you make such a claim you'll assuredly be forced to fight off the brainwashed "traditionalist" sycophants bleating about HANDS DOWN the most overrated catch ever:

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Outstanding story by Passan.

Greatest catch ever? Maybe in Longview, Wash.
    Mays is iconic.
    Edmonds' was tremendously athletic, as was Matthews.
    But I'm putting my money on DeWayne Wise, and the catch he made to save Mark Buerhle's perfect game.

http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/dewayne-wise-perfect-game-saving-catch/UsIKRdiuzU3-Q-zE9xe8dQ

Wise's catch had it all. The drama of the situation, and the added drama at the end with the bobble. The patented wall grab and crash. And the sheer "wow" factor, which only gets better when you watch it a few times and see how much ground he covered just to get to the ball.
    Absolutely phenomenal.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Lotta cynics 'round these parts.

Great, great catch. I won't rank it, but there's nothing you can take away from that catch. I've never seen anyone scoff at Jay Buhner going over 5-foot wall at Fenway the way people are bashing this kid's catch.

Draft saved Draft deleted