1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest American rock band

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 20, 2008.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Not that they deserve it, but one of the great concerts was Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band.

No mention of Santana or Stevie Ray Vaughn?

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have an issue with CSN, although I am fan of some of their work.
    1. 33 percent of the band isn't American.
    B. If you include Young, 50 percent of the band isn't American.
    III. The 1969 first album is incredibly good. "Deja Vu' from 1970 is also incredibly good, although it's CSNY. 'Four-Way Street' was mostly previously written and/or recorded from before they got together. 'CSN' in 1977 had a few good songs on, and most of the rest of the material is lukewarm at best. Incredibly talented guys, but not enough quality material for the present discussion.
    iv. They're not really a band. They're a group of guitar-playing singers/songwriters who occassionally record and perform together.

Also, the Eagles blow.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I thought Marah were British? Guess not.

I'll second Old 97s, and Tom Petty. I keep thinking of so many great bands.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

For Marah the brothers Belanko are born and bred in Philadelphia

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Beach Boys were the American Beatles, at least the Beatles thought so. Not too many people have hit records with an album they didn't release for 40 years! So the artistic side of me would pick them number one.
    Allman Brothers with Duane Allman-the musicianship side of me picks them.
    Of all the bands I saw in concert between 1962-1980, and, no brag, just fact, I didn't miss any, J. Giels put on the best show. Talking Heads second.
    Nobody but me remembers the real Jefferson Airplane, but they were the band picked as the headliner of Woodstock's 2nd night, just as Hendrix closed the last night. They must have been popular.
    The Doors suck.
    Nirvana coulda been a contender.
    Aerosmith, meh.

6. Big props on the Geils band, MG.
    In the old Garden, they were kings.

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

For a Donruss Rated Rookie style pick, I nominate The Hold Steady. Their last two have been fantastic.

8. Seven pages and no mention of Bon Jovi.......I'm also big on The Offspring, though I don't feel they belong on a top-5 list.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I hate Bon Jovi. I really dig The Offspring -- both studio and live. They're great, but, you're right, not top-five material.

Draft saved Draft deleted