1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great used CD stores?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Any way we could pool our collective knowledge on here to force traveling bargain hunters into buying an extra duffel bag on flights back this fall?

I really like the Amoeba chain in the Bay Area, but am not as in tune with places in other markets. You know the kind of place I mean - $2.99 bargain bins, amazing jazz, blues, etc., collections, vinyl up the wazzou, the oh-so-hip clerks make fun of you after you leave the store for buying Damn Yankees second album, etc., etc.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pitchfork Records in Concord, New Hampshire

Don't know the name of it, but there's a cool place on a corner of downtown Brattleboro, Vermont.

Bleeker Bob's?

3. Amoeba was a crate-digger's nirvana. I haven't seen anyplace that rivals their selection.

Austin, Texas: Waterloo Records & Video has a great used CD section, although their prices aren't the lowest.

Personally, my favorite place to get low cost CDs for ripping/burning is the public library.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I love Amoeba Records in Los Angeles on the Sunset Strip. I make a day out of it myself, because there's also a few other places on Ventura Blvd nearby when I'm in the San Fernando Valley. CD Trader is another solid choice.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Toronto has had some great ones like the Vinyl Museum, Kop's Kollectibles, the Record Peddler and the Incredible Record Store. It's been years since I went hunting through those stores but I believe there are all still open. Mostly vinyl but I'd imagine they carry used CDs too.

6. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I hardly ever pay for music anymore, and the library is the biggest reason why.

As for used stores, there's a great one (or at least there used to be, not certain it's still there), in a basement storefront on the Mass. Ave. end of Newbury Street in Boston. I can't remember the name, but I visited frequently in high school and college.

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

There's a really good used CD store in downtown Boise...right next to this hipster bar. Can't remember the name of it, but I was there a couple of months ago and they had all sorts of cool stuff (got the new LCD Soundsystem, they had the new Nine Inch Nails, buddy of mine picked up "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain" by Pavement)

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

True, dat.

Although I havre found some cool stuff - more blues and jazz than rock - at my local library.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've never been to one of their stores, but online, I love Second Spin (secondspin.com). They have stores in CA and in Denver.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Limewire :D

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

ear x-tacy in Louisville, Ky., while not only being the best record store there is for anything you need, it also as a great used section.

CD Central in Lexington has a huge selection too.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If any of you are on the Ivy League beat (or the MAAC beat) and get to the Princeton,NJ area, Princeton Record Exchange is a must visit for bargain used CD hunting.

Draft saved Draft deleted