1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great shows that were too smart for audiences

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D-3 Fan, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Agreed. I liked that show a lot.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

You know, I loved "Sports Night," but I had friends who didn't like for pretty much the same reasons Grohl states above. And the funny thing is, I saw their point, and even agreed with them on some things. But, the show just ... worked for me. I guess it was a case of the positives really outweighing the negatives.

3. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Agree 100 percent, what was that on the air with? There was another show on that night that I loved I just can't remember the name.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Playmakers

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Great call. A fantastic season of television, if a little contrived at the end. The actress who played Julie Cross was one of the best looking women on TV.

Action
    Flying Blind

6. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

EZ Streets - very well written, complex look at a decaying city. Good guys have flaws, bad guys have virtues. Similar in tone to The Wire.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There was an FBI show a few years ago with David Paymer and the actress who played Jack Bauer's wife in season 1 of 24 that was fucking fantastic and it lasted 6-8 shows... I was so pissed...

Boomtown jumps to mind as well... Homicide lasted awhile, but was never properly appreciated... The Wire...

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hate to disagree with IJAG, but I loved Ned and Stacey... It was in syndication a few years back and I watched all of them...

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Agreed. Very funny show.

10. Count me on the negative side on SportsNight, too.
    No Malina spoor on Studio 60 yet, but give it time.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

anyone remember "Parker Lewis can't lose"? That was a good show that never gets mentioned......

what was the show that came on after Miami Vice? It starred Dennis Farina, I think it opened with the song "The Wanderer"..........when I was 12 I loved that show.

12. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Crime Story

The first season set in Chicago was great, then the show moved to Las Vegas and lost steam. The theme song was "Runaway" by Del Shannon

Draft saved Draft deleted